Thursday, July 23, 2015

It was as simple as your...(Allen Kanovsky does the math and comes up with the answer - Danny Burger's Showcase!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/23/15

… J, P, B, D's and as complex as a multi-faceted logarithm (whatever that is). I'm talking about Danny Burger’s Showcase. Jesse Jones Jr., (alto sax/flute), Paul Shewchuk (bass), Brian Murphy (piano) and Danny, himself, at the kit.

It would be JAZZ. 100% pure and unadulterated. The solo riffs raising level of excitement with each and every tune.

Rick Katz (Miami JAZZ Co-op) and wife Fran, Ron, Babette, Steve, Rick, Lola, Richie, Ron the Ultimate JAZZophile, Tania, Dave (Cat in the Hat) and my two favorite dance partners, Denise and Jackie were there to enjoy every note. To describe this night of music, I need only one word--UNFORGETABLE.

The play list included tunes by Adderly, Coletrane, and Hubbard. "Jive Samba", Pent Up House", "I Wish You Love", "Souleo", "Mr. P.C", "Gibraltar" and "You Black Now" (dedicated to me), were all part of the first set.

Everyone in the joint was talking about what they had just heard. I was thinking that we were all blessed to have been treated to the JAZZ we had just heard. Every solo lifted the quartet to greater heights of originality and creativeness. Brian was totally beyond belief. Jesse's scat vocals transcended song. Danny played stuff that can't be played on drums and Paul smiled his way through some very slick bass passages.

The second set was no less enthusiastic with songs like "Del Ci va", "Stardust"(dedicated to Babette), " Song For My Father", a swinging "The Best Things In Life Are Free"(Jesse scatted the roof off the place), "Europa" , "Night In Tunisia" and with Jesse playing flute "So Vain". The last tune of the set was "Sweet Georgia Bright". Along the way I danced with Jackie and Denise and Denise and Jackie and--------. Me and a full house of JAZZophiles were having a ball. 

Every night comes to close. The last set had the past and present. "Jessica's Birthday" and "How I Miss You" representing the present. The ballad "Just The Way You Are Tonight", a swinging "In The Mood"  plus a mind-blowing "Caravan" from the history book of JAZZ ended the evening. Layered superlatives like 'amazing', 'incredible', 'wonderful', 'marvelous', 'stupendous', 'unbelievable' would all be applicable to the music and musicians I listened to last night. 

Earlier in the evening I was privileged to listen to 'cabaret' artist, Ms. Glenda Grainger. Included in her performance was a sultry song she sang in a film produced in 1959. The song "Streets In Manhattan" was sung by her in a foreign film titled "Deux Hommes En Manhattan". It is enjoying a revival among 'noir' fans. Glenda is accompanied by Gary Lawrence on piano. He can play any tune ever written, in any key you like.

I feel blessed and thank G-d for nights like last night.  





Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment