Monday, July 27, 2015

JAZZ to the...(Decisions, decisions...you poor fella, Allen Kanovsky! PS - Kipling is spinning!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/27/15

South of me. JAZZ to the North of me. Into the valley of chords I valiantly ventured.

First to the South and the Miami Shores Country club and the 6th Annual South Florida JAZZ Organization's Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Inductees included the famous, past & present. From the here and now were Ed Bell (WLRN91.3FM), Arturo Sandoval and percussionist Bobby Thomas Jr. The stars we miss today were Jacky Davis (Hammond B3), Simon Salz (guitar) and Monica Crosby (vocals). For the concert we had Jaui Schneider (piano), James Cotman (drums) and Sam Ciotta on bass. Mel Dancy, defying possibility, made an appearance. Alice Day made vocal contributions as well. JAZZ celebrities and JAZZophiles crowded the room. Enjoying the music, quaffing adult beverages, shcarfing tasty appetizers, greeting old friends and making new ones. Lots of folks I know including Piano Bob and his gal pal Mary, Jeannette Pina, Rick Katz, Dr. Jules Oaklander, Holly Spillane and Bob Weinberg. Ed Bell introduced me to his wife Gail. Ed is not bad looking if you don't look to close. Gail is gorgeous!!!!. There were impassioned acceptance speeches by all and Ed made sure to mention the name of almost everyone in the room.

Loved all the music but it was time to head North. Why? Maria Rivas in Ft. Lauderdale. I mounted my trusted steed ('08 Sebring Conv e/ 99,000 mi.) and spurred it into motion.

Arrived in time for the 2nd set. Maria doing her beautiful vocals, Danny Burger (pots'n pans). Nicky Orta(bass) and the inscrutable, occasionally smiling, Brian Murphy on keyboard. The usual suspects were all there including the Bresnahans, Jacques & Martine, Bill, Jim, Babette, Denise, Mark and his girlfriend, the other Richie and 2 tables of Venezuelan fans. There is a love ballad titled "Catalan" that Maria does opening her heart and revealing her soul. It is so romantic that Danny is forced to use Tympani mallets instead of sticks on his drum heads. The play list included "Rte 66", "Girl From Ipanema" (in swing time), "Watch What Happens". "It Don't Mean A Thing". "When I'm Without You", "It Isn't Even Spring" and more.

During the break before the last set there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned and looked into a pretty face. Familiar, in a way, but I'm not sure. Aha! Deborah Paiva! Looking 15 years younger than the last time I saw her. Her career is encompassed in doing concerts for charitable organizations. If you "believe" then you know that good works are rewarded. I guess for women a more youthful look is always a blessing. We had a delightful chat and it was good seeing her again.

If you know me at all, you know, I danced with every gal who could stand. Mark's girl friend, Denise and even Maria. Talking about dancing. Watching Martine & Jacques dance is a lesson in rhythm and originality. They look into each other’s eyes and the look spells out 'I Love You.' Had a ball. 

Got home safe. Hit the sack. Was asleep before the end of "Rhapsody In Blue". Tonight the Miami JAZZ Co-op Rent Party --- Sammy Figueroa CD release party. Make a plan, map a route and be there or forever regret it.




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment