Sunday, May 31, 2015

Was it JAZZ? (Allen Kanvosky asks the eternal questions of life...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/31/15


That's a tough question. Was it good? Nooooooo. It was GREAT.

The music last night could only be defined as great. Maybe even fantastic. The cellar of Le Chat Noir was S.R.O. The feature---the Luis Mario Ochoa Quintet. Luis on guitar and doing the vocals. The maestro Felix Gomez on piano. Nestor Del Prado on bass. Thrilling Alfredo Chacon on latin percussion, and the one and only Carlo Magn(ific)o Araya at the kit.Alexis Salis is the ultimate host. If there are one or two beautiful women seated alone he will convince them that I am a perfect tablemate. 

Last night it was with WDNA(88.9FM) radio personality Viviam Maria Lopez and her Mom, Gloria Guzman. Viviam Maria hosts and produces the radio  show "Cubaneando" which airs Wednesdays at 7PM. Luis opened with a traditional Cuban melody "Carbonero"(the charcoal peddler). Five notes in I knew it would be a special night of musica. Luis plays acoustic guitar with the soul of a gypsy but with the heart of a Cubano. His voice is liquid velvet. During the course
of the evening he touched me with his "Siboney", made my spirit soar with the samba from "Orpheo Negro" and had me shaking my shoulders with all the different Latin rhythms. Some son, a couple of boleros, a little guaguanco. Each of the musicians produced impeccably played solos. Felix and Nestor perfectly matched. Alfred & Carlo speaking to each other by beating on skins. Luis is also a composer and the band did a couple of his originals. One of which was so beautifully romantic I almost proposed to Ms. Guzman. Felipe Lamoglia sat in on tenor for that one and did a great solo. The charming Susana Behar stopped by to chat for a moment. Have you ever heard "When I'm Without You" in espanol. If so you will know why it is one of the Romance languages. Another original was a samba and it was pure JAZZ.


They closed with a habanero done in an up-temp 3/4 time. Exciting and a great way to end a show. 

This afternoon The Fish House in Kendall. A young musician showcase Hosted by Ira and Nicole.  


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


1 comment :