Thursday, May 28, 2015

I am willing to make a wager...(But Allen Kanovsky will never bet against the house when Danny Burger is dealing!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/28/15


...and lay odds of 3 to 1 that everyone who was at Danny Burger's Showcase last night is still talking about it this morning.

It's easy to do. Listen up. Jesse Jones Jr.(alto sax/flute/scat vocals). Professor Don Coffman(bass), Two Brain Brian Murphy at the piano and of course Danny playing the pots and pans. In the house were Ron, long time JAZZophile, dance partner Denise, buddy Bill Rutan, and local colorful figure Capt. Bob. No relation to Piano Bob. The reason I am so readily willing to lay those odds is that this quartet laid down a first set that set the house on fire. Folks were jaws agape as the musicians drove each other to absolutely unbelievable musical feats. Solo followed solo. Incredibly complex and imaginative riffs, never heard before and never to be heard again. 

The tragedy of my disappearing notes happened so I'm a bit fuzzy on tunes played but the level of talent displayed was nonpareil. Tunes including "Europa", "Laura", "Sweet Georgia Bright", "Black Nile", "Del Sasser" and "Hard Times" were played. So Jesse plays the first solo. Ears perk up. Brian is on the case, not to be outdone. You think Don has practiced all these years with no reason. Danny is pushing them all along. They maintained that level, tune after tune. Standing ovations after every number. No let up for the second set. "Bohemia After Dark" and others. Can this incredible play continue in to the last set. Let's try "Groovin' High", a Jesse composition "Better Than Cool", "Mr. PC" and "Jessica's Birthday". 

As most of you know, I'm out 3 to 4 nites every week listening to JAZZ or BLUES. Occasionally I'll catch an opera or symphony. Once in a while I enjoy ballet. In my 83 years there have been times I couldn't do that. My stint in the USN and duty on Guam. 20 years living in the desert of California (Canyon Country). A short stay at Government expense at the Lewisburg Farm Camp. I would say I've been at more than 8,000 live music events. Last night was probably in the top ten of memorable music. 

I have been criticized, ostracized, stigmatized, personalized, victimized, antagonized, patronized, criminalized, harmonized, notarized, outsized (in some aspects), undersized (in others), circumcised and last night I was BOPtized. 

Thanks Jesse. Danny, Don & Brian. As Jesse says "Peace, Love & JAZZ".


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment