Sunday, May 17, 2015

There are times...(...when Allen Kanovsky calls like it is... oh, wait... that is ALL the time!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/16/15

...on week nights, off season, that there will be more musicians on the stand that customers in the house. This has nothing to do with the quality of the music or the talent of the musicians. It is the result of the lack of business promotion knowledge. The off season in S. FL is a precarious time. Paying the rent and the staff from income is tricky.The best managers know this is not the time to darken the store. The answer,

promote--PROMOTE --PROMOTE !!

In the olden days you might place an ad in a local newspaper----nobody reads them anymore.

You could buy some radio time----half the population doesn't know what a radio is.

Internet--Social Media--Internet--Social Media.

"Hey Al, the music. Write about the music."


The engagement party for Shannon and Ryan had me on 33d St. early on Thursday nite. On stage ere Eric Trouillot's JAZZers. JuJu on sax, Doc at the kit, Ken playing keyboards and Yvette handling the vocals. Eric was doing what he usually does---nothing. 4 talented musicians playing to about 10 patrons. It doesn't pay the bills. The place started to fill with invitees to the party. The Tim Bluntson Quartet took the stage. Tim handling the vocals, Jorge Garcia (guitar), Carlos Mendez (drums) and Blond John at the keyboard. 

The music was from a long gone-by era----'disco'. "Boogie-oogie-oogie", "Very Superstitious" had the floor crowded with "Saturday Night Fever" fans. The saving grace for me was the Jorge Garcia solos. Adding to the festivities when invited up to the stage where Mel Williams, Jessi Campo and Barbara Glenn. I had a good time watching the revelers and talking with Eric about our youthful years in 'Fort Apache', The Bronx.  I promise tomorrow will be about the music! 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment