Friday, March 20, 2015

Yesterdays...(...are Yesternights, for Allen Kanovsky's travels to Cafe Vico)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/20/15

...are just what they say---yesterdays. Yesterday (Wednesday) they operated on my body. Today (Thursday) - I should say tonight - I operated on Eggplant Rollatini, Pinot Grigio, the company of two delightful women, Denise and Jackie and JAZZ provided by Clarence Palmer (B3/vocals), Jim Adle (sax/vocals) and Danny (the brushmeister) Burger on drums. Danny doesn't sing and he admits it!. The place was the bar at Cafe Vico.

I walked in on "Sweet Lorraine". Clarence working that B3 and singing as if Lorraine was his childhood sweetheart. They follow with "Body and Soul". We know that it belongs to James Moody, but in all truthfulness, Jim does an A1 job with his solo. Danny's background brushes add just the right rhythmic touch. 

The 2nd set opened with Clarence's original "Here's To Life". It came from 'the bottom of his heart'. You say you like the BLUES. How about "Pride & Joy"? Jim tackles the vocal with a different, kind of JAZZ oriented twist. It sounds good. Clarence follows with "The Best of Love". Talk about romance!. Barbara Glenn is in the house and is invited to the small stage. She opts for "Cry Me A River" done soft, slow and moody. She has the voice for it. She follows with "Old Black Magic" ala Latin beat. Me, the girls and everyone in the joint enjoying every moment. The trio does "Masquerade". Clarence makes you understand why they made B3's. Clarence again uses his vocal chords for "Summertime", follows with 'Ol' Blue Eyes "All the Way" and then tears my heart out with his version of "Misty". My eyelids are heavy but I am fain to leave Denise and Jackie on their own. I know! I know! They are grown women and can tend to themselves but --- they have been known to get in or cause some trouble at times. 

Bon Soir mes amours---I'm hitting the sack! 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment