Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lost in time & space...(Lost in the BLUES in Bonita, Allen Kanovsky?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/xx/15



…but trying not to miss any music. Wednesday March 4th. 
It's a little after noon and I'm at the Miami JAZZ Co-op JAZZ in the Gables event with about 150 other folks and three master musicians. Namely Brian Murphy, pianist, Chuck Bergeron, bassist and drummer John Yarling. I became so caught up in listening to the powerful performance of each of them that I failed to take notes. I noted the musical notes. You want know what creativity is you listen to Mr. Murphy's interpretations. If you're interested in what long hours of education, learning and practice can result in it is Mr. Bergeron. Whether it's the BLUES, Bop or straight ahead JAZZ there is none better than John Yarling. When I asked John his preference among the genres his reply was "The thing I like best is playing with good musicians". I think the answer deserves a hand. 

Spring is in the air and so we listened to "It Isn't Even Spring" and "I'll Remember April" amongst others including "Cubano Chant" and "Conception". I don't remember Wednesday night or Thursday either. I apologize to any ladies I met have met during that time period.


Friday I was off to meet Charlie Boyer at the Bonita BLUES Festival. If I can forget days I can forget routes. Instead of the 75, I got on the FL. Tpk. Hey, easy. I needed exit 116. Exit 116 off the Turnpike is nowhere near Bonita Springs. I followed my nose and ended up in Indiantown. I reversed course, traversed Lake Okeechobee, crossed the Everglades and got to the festival in time to catch the last 2 song of Albert Castiglia's set. Matt Schuler is Albert's bassist and famed defense attorney, Bob Amsel plays drums. Talk about the best of 2 worlds. Make enough money in court so you can afford to work in a BLUES band. How can you not love the BLUES when song titles include "It's Been A Real Bad Year and Only 12 Months To Go". Albert does things with the guitar that shows off all the electronic possibilities to close his portion of the show. Next up, as the last act of the day is Chris Caine, all the way from California. Talk about voices made to sing the BLUES. Graveled but true and clear. Jim Pugh is at the keyboard. Steven Evans on bass and Mick Mestek at the kit. "Got A Whole Lot Of Loving", "Stepping On The High Wire" and "Find Somebody Else" were among the tunes. Shuffles, swing, down home and even a little rock. Chris switched to the K.B. for a Ray Charles melody "Over Me". "Baby Got It Goin' On" is done in a Calypso rhythm. Back to the BLUES the play something that sounded a lot like "After Hours" to me. A bit of funk and the front of the stage is crowded with folks dancing.  They do "I Lost It" and for an encore "I'm Gonna Drink Tequila:. Blankets folded, chairs collapsed and off the After Hours Jam at the Stage. Josh Rowland, his Dad Denny on bass, Richie Corricelli on drums and guest Randy Pohlman playing guitar. The Pit Bull opens with "What You Trying To Do" and then "Gonna Make It Back To Memphis" and you know Josh means it. Josh picks up the banjo for "Hey, Y'all" and then the Duel song from the film Deliverance. Old No.5s is the first band up for the Jam. Young cats playing the BLUES and making an impression. Selwyn Birchwood is on stage with a gal named Elanor Tsaig from Israel, via Memphis of the Ori Naftaly Band. They play off one another for an outstanding couple of tunes including "Baby, You Don't Have To Go". R.J. Howson is on stage with Lisa Mann, Albert Castiglia, Bob Amsel, for "Every Time I get High.-------I am nodding off. Will continue the weekend tomorrow!!!!!!


Walking Man, overseeing the Bonita Blues Festival Grounds...Hat on...

That a STACKER!

Allen Kanvosky has a new favorite breakfast drink!

Two of the many wonderful servers at Lansdown Pub, scene of the
Sunday Blues & Bloodys on the Patio Wrap-up Party!
Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Day One Facebook Photo Album:

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Day Two Facebook Photo Album:

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Blues & Bloodys on the Patio Wrap Up Facebook Photo Album:

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Youtube Playlist:

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment