Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The best $10 I've spent in the...(Allen Kanovsky knows a deal when he hears it!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/24/15


...21st century. It was for a ticket to a concert at the Gusman Concert Hall at UM. The event, A Journey in JAZZ----The Music of Gary Lindsay. 

Memories of a concert back in September of 1949. JAZZ At The Philharmonic, Carnegie Hall. JAZZ as always, has changed over the years but great musicians will always stand out. Last night as part of the program the Miami Saxophone Quartet performed. The saxophonists are Ed Calle, Gary Keller, Gary Lindsay and Mike Brignola. The rhythm section had Chuck Bergeron (bass), Jim Gasior (Piano) and John Yarling (drums). Anyone of the aforementioned could have been on the Carnegie Hall Stage with Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson, Flip Phillips, Howard McGhee, Bill Harris and Illinois Jacquet. All of the music played was either composed or arranged by Gary Lindsay. The program opened with the Frost Concert JAZZ Band playing Gary's "Abruzzi Suite". In addition to the band members on the program there were 2 French Horns. I believe it was Phil Doyle who took the first solo and had me leaning forward to catch every note. The program continued with imaginative arrangements and creative solos. Brian Lynch joined three other trumpeters on "Cherokee" in a Gary Lindsay be-bop arrangement. You can check the play-list and guests in the photo of the program. John Daversa (trumpet) played an EVI (electronic valve instrument) which I had never seen or heard before. Prior to the concert I was greeted by three lovely women. (It's nice being me) Jeannette Pina, Jackie Deering and Gloria. Music lovers to say the least. In closing I want to sincerely thank every musician on the stage for all the years of hard work they have done to give me an evening of the best JAZZ has to offer.

p.s. Gas in N.Y. in September of '49 was 17 cents a gallon and I was 17 years old.



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment