Thursday, March 26, 2015

What I wrote yesterday...(Sounds like Allen Kanovsky is living his dream!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/26/15

...was fiction. It was inspired by Charlie Boyer's suggestion that I write a dream piece of a perfect night at a perfect club. So I did. 

Last night was real. Real in every way imaginable. 

It started with me meeting with an old pal and his wife. Norman 'Chick' Berger and I have been pals for more than 70 years. I met his wife Diana when she was 17. Chick, I and 9 others had what was known as a "Social Club" during our teen years. It was in the basement of a 2 family house in the Bronx. The floor was enamel black. The walls hunter green and emblazoned with mural copies of Picasso works. We had a record player and a bar. Young ladies were invited to join us and dance on Friday and Saturday nights. Our clubroom was appropriately named "The Pump Room". The subtitle on the invitation cards was "Chicago----Miami---New York". Sundays we went to Yankee or Giants games. Weeknights we played poker. There are only 4 of us left. Chick, myself, 'Norty' Grant and Freddy Marcus. 

Joining Chick, Diana and I were Nancy, Jimmy and Denise. Maria took the stage in a stunning outfit. Skin tight black trousers, black blouse, white sport coat and a black Cuban cap. Her hair was curly and the color of good brandy held up to light. It is Danny Burger's Showcase and joining him on the stand are Brian Murphy at the piano and Nicky Orta playing bass. Maria opens with "Jinji" in Portuguese. "Love Comes Along" was next and it was followed by "It Don't Mean a Thing". Swingin' tunes lead to dancing so Denise and I did our best. Nicky adds a great bass solo. The trio does an instrumental which I don't recognize and Maria returns to sing "My Funny Valentine" to a latin beat. Nancy, Jimmy, Denise and I are all up, dancing. Maria continued with "PocoPoco". Brian outdoes even himself with a very imaginative solo. Maria opens the 2nd set with "Lush Life" and I wonder why entertainers look directly at me when they do that song. "I Got Rhythm" with some scat lines and Maria steps off the stage to do a few Charleston steps with Denise. Nicky and Danny heighten the excitement. Dizzy's "Night In Tunisia" is next. Maria loves this song and it shows. Brian an Nicky inspire one another. She does Jobim and swings it. The rhythm section does "Invitation" and Maria returns to do "See What Happens". "Besame Mucho" has Denise & I along with several others on the dance floor. "We'll Be Together Again" always touches me in a special way. Flo and I were "together again" after 30 years of divorce. We were parted by her demise but I know His plan will have us rejoined. 

The final set opens with "Our Love Is Here To Stay". They play "Route 66" and I can't help but dance. Maria can scat and along with Danny's solo much joy is in the house. "Desafinado" followed by "Autumn Leaves", again in Portuguese and scat. She says this one is for me and sings "The Very Thought 'Of You".

The show ends with "One Note Samba". Great night with good friends and wonderful music. Sat around and chatted with Brian and Donna Blue. We were joined by Shannon and Ryan. The glow of their recent 'engagement' surrounds them. Jackie Deering and I played a role in their romance...


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment