Tuesday, February 3, 2015

When it happens, it's...(And if it isn't happening, Allen Kanovsky isn't there!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/03/15



...MAGIC. 

It can transport you through a delightful experience. It happens, thankfully, in every genre of music. I'll go back to Nelson Eddy with Jeanette McDonald, Keely Smith and Louis Prima, Sonny & Cher, Johnny Cash & June Carter and of course Billie Holiday & Lester Young. The pairing, inspirational to each other. 

Last night at the MiamiJAZZ Co-op's Rent Party we were treated to the CD release party of Samm and Jamie Ousley's "The Unorthodox Duo". Samm sings, Jamie strums and sometimes bows. They are a perfect union of voice and instrument. Samm's voice has a deep timbre which is suited to singing along with upright bass. Jamie is among the most creative of bassists and his style is a beautiful complement to Samm's vocals. 

They open with one from their CD, "This Is All I Ask" Samm has a wonderful sense of timing which keeps you listening closely. They change moods with a tune from the Depression years, "My Heart Belongs To Daddy", done with a rhumba rhythm. Then Samm sings Abbey Lincolns "First Song", a lovely ballad. When they do "Sweet Lorraine" Samm takes lots of liberty with the melodic line which is very interesting. "Whatever Lola Wants" is from a Broadway musical and the do it in tango time with Jamie using his bow. Charlie Haden wrote the melody and Samm contributed a lyric to "La Passionaria". Jamie's solo will be hard to forget. "To Sir With Love", "Wild is the Wind" and "Alone Together" complete the set. The audience is comprised of fans and lots of our local musicians. The long round of applause is well deserved.

The 2nd sets first song is from the CD, "Beautiful Love". Again Samm's unique sense of timing adds dimension to the melody. When we speak of ballads, there are some that are timeless. "In the Still Of the Night" is one of the many songs that fit the bill. Maria Rivas is in the audience and she is invited up to do "Alfonsina De La Mar". It had been a hit for Maria in her native Valenzuela". It's also a favorite of Jamie and Nanami and on  the CD "Sea of Voices". Lisanne Lyons is up to do "I Thought About You"  with some great scat lines. Nanami is next and she pleads for Larry Lapin to join them on piano. She sings "If I Were A Bell". She swings it and so do Larry and Jamie. Samm returns to do  Cole Porter's "Secret Love". 

Jim Gasior is at he bar enjoying an adult beverage and some finger food. He licks his lips, wipes off his digits and graces the stage. At the beginning of this review I wrote about super musical unions. Jim Gasior and Wendy Pedersen should be in the headline. He, Samm & Jamie do a couple including "All My Dreams" during which Jim plays a most creative solo. A young, Keanu, steps up with his alto sax and he, Samm and Jamie do a be-bop tune "Now's The time". A complete change of tempo and mood when Samm and Jamie do a tune from 'Carousel', "You'll Never Walk Alone", to close the show. 

My pal Dr. Jules Oaklander, has his daughter visiting from California and she loved the 'night and the music'. So did I.  













Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment