Monday, February 9, 2015

A simple phone call...(And it isn't Allen Kanovsky calling collect!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/09/15

...changed the course of my life. 

That might be a bit of an overstatement. Actually, it only changed my plans for Sunday nite activity. My original plan was for the DCA concert. The phone call was from Ms. Jackie Deering. "Are you going to BJB's for Latin night?"----"Are you?"-----"Yes". An old quote says "The best laid plans of mice and men are often put asunder." I pondered and headed for 33 St. It was still 'happy hour' and I took advantage of the 1/2 price adult beverages. I would soon be joined by pals Nancy & Jimmy Belize, Denise Schuster and of course Miss Jackie herself. Anthony Corrado plays on Sunday afternoons.

Today he had Orlando Machado on drums, Paul Banman (piano) and Bert Boice on bass. As I have mentioned before, Anthony brings a multitude of instruments to the stage. Often, he will play every one during the course of a tune. He has added a valve trombone to the collection. Mandolin, alto sax, trumpet----it makes my head spin. Latin nite has the Ranses Colon (bass) band. Paul Babup (drums), Manny Gamez (piano), Jose Olivera (sax) Luz Angela Jiminez (vocals) and playing congas and singing soneo Jesus Mantina. Now it comes down to what this nite was all about. If you feel about Latin rhythms like I do, you can guess what happened. The band started. Clave invaded my soul. 5 bars in, I was up and dancing with Jackie. At the end of the tune I collapsed in my seat and took a sip of the bourbon, bitters and ice in front of me. Uh-oh---merengue. Now Denise and I. Not a single entry in my notebook. It took 2 songs for me to recover. Then Jackie and I. Next Jackie & Denise and me, followed by Jackie et moi. You think Denise might sit one out. NO WAY!. Fortunately some guy grabs her for one. How can you resist dancing 'bolero' with Ms. Deering. Absolutely lovely in a long clinging dress. Denise ain't bad either, in tight black pants and close fitting sweater. No, I do not do fashion reviews. My notebook and pen lay where I put them when I arrived. No song titles or descriptions of solos taken. My only comment is about the soneo's done by Jesus. I am a particular aficionado of that particular Latin art form. The improvisation of lyric, rhythm and melody holds me in its grip. Jesus demonstrates why I am so fascinated with it. 

Miami JAZZ Co-op to-nite at Open Stage. Guitars, guitars, guitars and more guitars!!!!! 





*Editor's Note*
Please catch up with The Musical Adventures of Allen Kanovsky this coming Friday morning when we will find out what he has up to all week! 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment