Monday, February 2, 2015

Providence will provide. (And Allen Kanovsky finds grace in the music provided by Wycliffe Gordon at St. Gregory's)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/02/15



To prove that, for a second Sunday in a row I found myself seated in a church. This time at St. Gregory's Episcopal Church in Boca Raton. The reason for my attendance was the appearance of Wycliffe Gordon (trombone) Eric Reed (piano) neither of whom I had heard before. With them were Chuck Bergeron (bass) and John Yarling (drums) both of whom I have listened to often times. 

Let me begin with the facility itself. It is absolutely breathtaking. A stained glass pictorial of Jesus is set behind the altar. It is about 20' high and maybe 25' across. Stained glass portrayals of the Stations of the Cross are along the side walls. The Church also boasts an Austin pipe organ valued at $500,000.00. The organ will be played by Mr. Timothy Brumfield. Timothy was the Cathedral Organist at the worlds largest Gothic Cathedral, The Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York until 2009. The church is celebrating its 61st anniversary and is actively pursuing a program to bring live music to the community.

The music program opened with Wycliffe and Eric playing "Our Father Who Art In Heaven". Talk about an emotional performance. My oh my!  Wycliff employed a plunger mute technique producing dramatic growling undertones. Chuck and John join him and they do "It Don't Mean A Thing". Wycliffe does the vocal portion. When he sings it is in a JAZZman's voice. Gruff and full of feeling. They take turns at solos and then trade 4's with John. Plenty of clappin' and tappin' amongst the audience. A trip to New Orleans and in dirge time, "Just A Closer Walk With Thee".  This and "Amazing Grace", which they will play later on in the program, are the tunes that most touch my inner being. Wycliffe played 'soprano' trombone on this one. They shift gears to do a rousing "When the Saints Go Marching In". Wycliffe does the vocal, some triple tongued trombone work and lets Eric loose. I am surprised that attendees aren't up and marching in the aisles. John does his thing with a rickety-tickety rim shot display while playing the melodic line. Staying in swing mode they do "Sunny Side of the Street". 

Wycliffe sings it, Eric swings it, Chuck and John hang on for the ride. Fats Waller wrote "Black and Blue", way back when. Franke Laine recorded it in 1946. That was the first time I had ever heard it. Wycliffe did it yesterday with the original "Fats" lyric. It still holds a dramatic impact on me. Eric's solo is reminiscent of Wallers piano stylings and has heads bobbing all over their "joint". Now just Wycliffe and Eric, do "Lift Up Your Voice and Sing" followed by another Gospel melody whose title escapes me. Eric, solo, plays a medley of 5 religious tunes and then Wycliffe with Timothy on the orgn do "Amazing Grace".
You know you are in 'church' when the sound of a full pipe organ fills the room with the sound of that song. All I can say is "Praise the Lord." Now they afford Timothy the opportunity to show off, all by himself. I don't know how many keys, buttons, pedals and levers there are on an Austin pipe organ. I do know that Timothy used every single one in displaying the full range and dynamics of the instrument.


It was a clearly defined union of instrument and musician. During Timothy's performance I was trying to recognize the tune. I kept hearing the changes and some of the melodies of "Blue Moon". I should have asked Timothy. I will next time I see him. The ensemble returns to do "Caravan". And 'oh yeah' they do it. Chuck takes a super-tempo solo with John matching suit. Wycliffe does some double-tonguing and they segue into a little "C-jam BLUES" and morph into "Down By The Riverside" which has everybody singing 'along' to conclude the show.

Timothy invited me to the after-show reception and I took the opportunity to chat with Wycliffe, Eric and two lovely ladies, Nancy and Joelle. Eric was catching a 7PM flight to San Diego. Wycliffe was surrounded by female fans. There was beer from both Boston and Seattle, choice of both red and white wines and a tasty assortment of hors D'oeuvres. I indulged myself but left in time to catch the Super Bowl Kick-off at home. St. Gregory's deserves the support of live music lovers, near and far. I had a great afternoon. Thanks to all the musicians, my cordial hosts and most of all I thank Him for the life I lead. 



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment