Friday, May 16, 2014

I left Havana...(and Allen Kanovsky is ready to swim back for the music...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/16/14

...2 days after my 82 birthday in December 2013. Ed Bell (WLRN 91.3FM) returned me there yesterday afternoon at the stations TV studio. The vehicle was a band called PALO. The word 'Palo' has several meanings and usages in the Spanish language from mundane to profane. This afternoon the meaning was crystal clear. "Great sounding band". On alto, sitting in for Dr. Ed Calle was Sr. Arturo Arango. The reason for the title is that he deserves it. Don't tell Ed, but I didn't miss him. At the timbales was an old friend Raymer Olande. From Havana, Philbert Armenteros on congas. At the keyboard, the only gringo, Steve Roitstein. Standing center stage, a muy hermosa cubana (very pretty Cuban chick) Leslie Cartaya handled the vocals. Even during the warm-up the band had me dancing in my seat. Rhythm upon rhythm upon rhythm upon rhythm.

The sound is todays Urban/Latin. JAZZ-funk-Carribean-salsa-guaguancoa--all of it making all those in the audience shake them shoulders. The tunes start out simply enough but build to frenetic enthusiasm. I don't understand Spanish that well so can't give you all the titles. I do know one song was about food. Another was about people who are cheap or skinflints. It was made obvious when they used the universal sign to indicate people with penury habits. You bend your arm and slap your elbow. In Italy you bend your arm and slap your palm into the crook. The meanings are somewhat different.

Philbert took a turn at the mic that turned into a trio with Raymer joining in with Leslie. Prior to the performance I spoke with Ted Grossman the guy who has the NightTrain radio show at WLRN. Joining in was Dan Serro. Dan is an interesting guy. Poet, JAZZophile and record COLLECTOR. The reason for the capitals is that his collection sonsists of 76,000 LPs. I am 82 years old. I would have had to buy 3 records every day of my life from birth on. Best note of all is that there 11,000 classical and 5,000 he hasn't listened to yet. I think Dan is somewhere around my age --- Good Luck!!! Going to FIU North Campus tonight. Joe Doanto, Wendy Pederson, Jim Gasior, possible guest appearance by Maria Rivas. Dr. Jules Oaklander will be there. 
 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment