Monday, May 19, 2014

Fun is not a...(Allen Kanovsky has BIG fun, so his FUN needs more letters!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/20/14

...three letter word. The real spelling starts with R(ita) then T(ony) followed by M(itch) and ending in D(anny). Rita Wilburn, Tony Niccolosi, Mitch Goldstein and Danny Burger. Not only did the audience at BJB's have fun, so did the band members. It was a joyful sound and a happy party from the first played note to the very last. They opened with a Wes Montgomery instrumental "Road Song" with Tony taking the lead guitar solos. Mitch provided the bass line and Danny, as usual, was driving the bus. They started "C Jam BLUES" and Rita morphed it into "Everyday". Now it was a full swing bash. Sista Mary Beth walked into the middle of this and was tappin' and clappin' immediately. Tony does a great guitar intro to Rita's BLUES song "You Better Make Me Change My Mind". I said fun---all you need is a tall black gal with a body that's a challenge to any strong willed man and a voice to match. A grey haired guitarist with a 3 million dollar smile, a 'pick' and an 'axe'. A guy who shleps around the latest electronic B3 and uses all 4 limbs to play it and a drummer who played "Tunisia" with Dizzy, back in the day. Rita is tugging at heart strings when she sings "The First To Say Goodbye". Ron Anonymous is in the house with his girlfriend and cousin Michelle. Michelle is a published author of a book titled "You Are The Father". It tells the story of a man with 13 children with a number of different mothers. I had no idea Michelle knew any of my friends. 

When Rita sings "Unchain My Heart"  Tony adds a memorable guitar solo. They give Tony a chance to pipe one and he does Brook Benton's "Rainy Night In Georgia". I take the opportunity to dance a little with Rita. I say little, 'cause we do the "Fish" which requires little movement outside of your hips. Of course I did not hesitate to lay my head on her bos --- I mean shoulder --- I mean bosom. It just so happens that I am more the height for bosom laying than shoulder laying. They do "My Baby Just Cares For Me" with Mitch 'swinging' it. Dale Minnicio and Holly Carroroll do an innovative 'Lindy' to the music. I got up and did a few steps with Sista Mary Beth. Do you think I was having fun? Tony opens with a vocal version of "The Thrill Is Gone" with Rita doing the 2d chorus. Ron and Michelle are on the dance floor showing off some of that Detroit Shake 'n Bake. They close the first set with "You Make Me Feel So Good". It looks like every couple is on the dance floor. During the break, on the music channel, they are playing Erskine Hawkins' "After Hours". Avery Parrish does what is probably the most unforgettable piano solo ever heard on that recording. One of my all-time favorites.

Tony opens the 2d set with Boz Skaggs "I Wonder Who". Rita sets the joint on fire with "Fever" which has the Detroit 4 on the floor showing us all how they do it in "Motown". "Blue Moon" has Dale and Carroll dancing again. They are nice to watch. Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Pride and Joy" has become a BLUES standard and for good reason. Tony and Rita do it justice. When Rita shouts the BLUES to "Since I Fell For You" my 'happy face' is full on. Tony does an unknown titled song doing real nice stuff with the vocal and guitar. Uh-oh! Here it comes. Grab a seat belt and a heart attack pill. "Rock Me Baby". Oh yeah! ''til my back ain't got no bone'. Rita sings, Tony, Mitch and Danny play. Ron Anonymous has every part of his body 'moving to the music'. Every band member takes a solo ride. Rita's voice rises above it all. "Roll me baby---just like a wagon wheel". All I can say to all of this is 'Holy s--t!. They close the set with FUNK. "A Long Way".

The last set opens with an instrumental, Jimmy Smith's "Organ Grinder Swing" which gives Mitch a chance to show off. Orlando Machado is in the house and sits in for Danny to do "Night in Tunisia". Rita returns to the stage to do a hear felt "Georgia" followed by my Mothers lullaby to her grandchildren, "Summertime". They close the show with everyone tappin' and clappin' to "Chain of Fools". It is my sincere wish that everyone reading this has learned how to spell FUN.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment