Saturday, May 24, 2014

Father Time... ( Is not a metronome brand name, says Allen Kanovsky, while visiting Jacksonville Jazz Fest)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/24/14

...always manages to collect his toll. I have been fortunate, all these many years to have escaped his grasp. He caught me last night and the battle exhausted me. I was in bed by 8PM. 

After the long drive from Hallandale to Jacksonville I was happy to see a live trio playing near the registration desk of the Hyatt. Fresh lemonade and peanut cups were available. On alto sax was D'Andre Lattsome, bass Cody Wheaton with Josh Perro tending to the keyboard. They played "My One and Only You" and the trio conveyed the true romantic feeling of the melody. They followed with a bop tune which established their collective musicianship. After a short break a trombonist joined them. He had a familiar face. But from way back. I thought about it. Not only was the face familiar but the facial expressions as well. EUREKA! The guy is the spitting image of Wynton Marsalis before he was rich and------chubby. It's not Wynton of course, it's his younger brother, Delfeayo, who just decided to sit-in with these youngsters. He, like his older brother, educates and helps the musicians who he plays with. His playing/teaching elevated and inspired the group.

They played Coletranes "BLUES" and then gently swung "I'm Confessing That I Love You". The lobby filled with listeners, most of whom were here for the JAZZ Festival. The now quartet traded tasty 4s and then gave Josh a shot at showing off. Which he did. A musician from New Orleans is not going to play a set that doesn't include some tradition. What better than "Basin Street BLUES". Delfeayo is as soft spoken as his brother with that same sense of good humor. 

I walked up the street to be greeted by the sound of a big band. And a big band it was. Appropriately, it being Memorial Day Weekend and the anniversary of D-Day, the band was the USAF band "Airmen of Note". The band was formed in 1950 to honor Glenn Miller who had led the Army Air Corps band during World War II. They sounded great. I caught only three of their songs. The last being "You Can't Take That Away From Me". Swinging and in true JAZZ mode, attractive Tech Sergeant Paige C.Martin did justice to the tune including inventive work with the melodic line. In honor of their sevice to our country as well as their musicianship I looked for their names on their website. The band personell, Alto sax-Master Sergeants Tyler K. Kuehler and Andrew D. Axelrad. Tenors-T.Sgts Tedd C. Baker and Grant M. Langford. Bari-M.Sgt. Douglas W. Morgan. Trumpets-M. Sgt. Brian F. McDonald, Sr. Mstr Sgts. Jeffrey B. Martin and Timothy D. Leahey, T. Sgt. Lucas A. Brandon. Trombones= M.Sgt. Benjamin P. Patterson, T. Sgt. Kevin A. Cerovich and on bass t-bone T. Sgt Benjamin F. Polk. Piano and Keyboards- M. Sgt. Steven D. Erickson. Guitar- T. Sgt, Geoffrey C. Reecer. Bass-T. Sgt. Cameron S. Kayne. Drums-T. Sgt. David M. McDonald. I salute them and all the brave young men and women who serve in our Armed Forces. This is the first band I have ever heard where everyone had a middle initial. 

I walked back to the hotel to get a chair. I had been standing a long time. I got my chair and started out to listen to some more music. The bar is just a few steps from the elevator. Hmmm. An ice cold, spicy Bloody Mary will hit the spot. The bartender, "Mike", queries. "Would you like to see a menu". Never ask a man my age and girth that question. It's obvious, ain't it? 'Philly steak sandwich' served grill hot and toasty. It was GOOD!

I shouldered my collapsible chair and headed out for the music. I didn't make it. For the first time in 82 years, bed seemed more attractive than live JAZZ. I curled up with my Kindle and now it's 7AM. I will not repeat yesterdays mistakes.  
-----Onward JAZZ listeners.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment