Thursday, May 29, 2014

"You Don't Always Get...(or your name spelled correctly, right Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/29/14

What You Want" But sometimes it's even better. Last night at The Fish House on Miller Drive I surprisingly ran into Ms. Elaine Porteous who had accompanied Jimmy Belize and I on our trip to the Havana JAZZ festival in December. My buddy Bill was there along with the lovely Georgine. David Leon (usually the house band for the Jam) is attending a JAZZ camp in western Canada. In his stead was a trio with Chantil Dukart on keys and vocals, Shawn Saul (bass) and Joe Fagan at the kit. There were a lot of students and young Jammers in the house. The trio played stuff that maybe I am to old to 'get'. It was a blend of funk, rock, pop and ?jazz?----The younger set seemed to dig it. The older portion of the audience kind of shook their heads. The sound balance was off and you couldn't really hear the vocals. The drums and bass were overpowering. A word of advice. "Dynamics" count.

The vibe changed when some of the Jammers got up. Ian Munoz, the youngest of them all, playing alto, started the Jam Session with "All The Things You Are" be-bop style and off we were. Sitting in and doubling on trumpet and drums was Carter Hall. Also doubling was Tomas Dover on trombone and drums. Connor Munroe (tenor sax), Marco Sosa (guitar), Jose Albizu (bass), Claudens Loois (tenor), Chris Kuo (guitar) and Bruce McKinnon (flugelhorn). Miss Harley Cove, studying music in New York, but home for the summer provided a swinging "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Toes tappin', hands clappin'. It's a Jam Session.

Young people playing JAZZ reinforce my belief in the future of the music we love. I must make mention of some of the things that really caught my attention. Ian of course is a light of the future. On bass Jose Albizu understood that sometimes spaces are as important as notes played. Also, the trio had returned to the stage and during one of their final numbers, toward the end, Bruce standing off stage, put the horn to his lips and delivered far and away the best solo of the night. Angela and her husband Jose (proprietors) have the biggest hearts of any club owners I have ever met. They are planning a couple of Fund Raisers for worthy causes, Breast Cancer and Childhood Diabetes. They, the music and the causes deserve your support.

correction note: In my review of the Jacksonville JAZZ Festival appearance by Linda Cole I made several name errors. Please note the band members were Joshua Bowlus (piano), Ben Adkins (drums) and Alphonso Horne (trumpet) The tunes title is "Dindi" (pronounced jinjee"). Sorry for not getting it right the first time. Can I use age as an excuse? I'd rather lay it at the feet of the MC's.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment