Friday, May 9, 2014

TGIF...(And we all know Allen Kanovsky is one thankful fellow!) -And, our best to all the competitors in the Ellington Competition in NYC!


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/09/14

...and TG I am in The Apple. Where else in the world could you listen to more than 100 high school age JAZZ musicians perform in an acoustically perfect venue. JAZZ At Lincoln Center is hosting the Essentially Ellington Annual High School Band Competition and Festival. Today I heard bands representing small towns like Snoqualmie WA.(under 12,000) to big cities like Seattle. They played Ellington including "Cottontail" &  "Perdido" and did some of the lesser known charts like "I Love the Sunshine". Among the 100 or so sidemen were a representative group of 'sidegals'. I don't think there was anybody without at least one distaff member. As an example Osceola County School for the Arts (Kissimmee, FL.) was first up and they had a young lady at piano, 2 in the trombone section a trumpet player and drummer. Their vocalist, Melody Uri, sang "Sunrise" and I was surprised at the maturity shown in her vocal rendition. I apologize for not mentioning more names but it isn't feasible at the moment. During lunch, prior to the performances I spoke with 2 youngsters from from Sun Prairie. Mike Norris(trombone) and Mark Sommer(drums). Mike is a senior and has always been interested in being a JAZZ man. Mark after studying with a basically 'rock' drummer wanted to expand his knowledge of music and so turned to JAZZ, Mt. Si H.S. JAZZ ensemble had a female pianist another in the sax section and 2 in the trumpet section. Representing CoralGables was the Community Program All-Star JAZZ ensemble. Black pants and shirts. White ties and suspenders. At first I thought thet there were no girls but a clarinetist sneaked in. The played some seldom heard Ellington tunes and did them well. They really nailed it with their final of three songs. Sun Praire was next up and they were the only band with a vibraphonist. They also had a 'gal' in the trumper section. The Ellington Big Band of the Tucson JAZZ Institute and last years winners turned their music stands sideways. No charts to read. Just 'blow, man, blow' and blow they did. Every soloist, every section member, the whole rhythm section playing like they'd did it for a lifetime---yes I was impressed. The use of plunger mutes on trumpets and trombones in all of the bands was emphasized with this band. Robbie Lee, the pianist who doubles on vocals, sang in a deep baritone the melody, "I Love the Sunshine" Last year he did a "Louis Armstron" voice. Next the Lexington H.S Jazz Ensemble  They dedicated their program to Joe Lauder who had passed away earlier that day. Played a great version of the BLUES tune "Rocks In My Bed" with Natalie Tsvetkova delivering the vocal. A young man, playing tenor, brought out all the emotion of the BLUES. The band closed with a jump tune showing excellent unison work. Roosevelt H.S. from Seattle came out wearing full dress tuxedos. Black bow ties, wing collars and all. A Miss at piano, bass and 2 in the sax section.  They played "Flirty Bird" and a young lady stood up and delivered a dynamic alto solo. They did "Perdido" with a very complex chart and 3 tenor saxes up at the mic. A great trumpet ride and the competition closed for the day------to be continued tomorrow...

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment