Monday, May 26, 2014

I am somewhat of a... (road warrior, too, Allen Kanovsky... NYC, JAX, and Ft. Lauderdale within the week!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/26/14

...homie. I believe that you should support your hometown teams, schools and especially local BLUES and JAZZ musicians. I do travel far & wide to listen to live music but my heart remains at home. I don't care if you're from New York or New Orleans, Long Beach CA. or Long Branch NJ, Mississippi or Missouri, there's a club, a local joint or a dive that has live music. To survive they need your support. Yesterday I was in Jacksonville for the JAZZ Festival. I gave up an appearance by Joey De Francesco to drive back to Ft. Lauderdale to listen to local JAZZ vocalist, Noreena Downey. 

It turned out to be a great night for the club (BJB's), the audience, me and the band. George Mazzeo at the drum kit, Jaui Schneider (keys) and Tom McCormick (tenor sax). My buddy Bill was there along with the Lady Babette. My new friend Renee would show up before the end of the first set. The dance man Dale was there albeit without his partner. Noreena opens with "Just the Way You Are" and you can't help but notice her phrasing skills. Tom does one of his JAZZ oriented solos and the evening is off to a great start. For Bill, she sings "You Don't Know What Love Is". The swing session is on with "Bye Bye Blackbird". They trade 4s all around and then Tom and George do battle. You want to get Funky? Noreena will help you out. "Rockin' After Midnight" and Jaui really gets down. They get back to swing time with "On the Street Where You Live". Noreena sings "The Shadow Of Your Smile" to a latin rhythm and Tom's solo belies his Irish heritage. Her rendition of "On Broadway" has Noreena scatting down the Great White Way. I grew up with my older sisters singing "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby". Ms. Downey does it in the nice swing of that era. George sets up an easy rhumba rhythm for Noreena to sing "All Or Nothing At All". The room is filling up and soon there won't be a seat to be had. It wouldn't be JAZZ without some Cole Porter. "Night and Day" is the tune that closes the 1st set. The 2d set opens with Larry sitting in on guitar and Noreena getting hold of the funk tune "Hold Me and Rock Me Through the Night". Dale gets Noreena to dance with him and Tom really funks it up with his tenor solo. They change the mood with "Summertime" and Tom does as soulful a tenor solo as I've ever heard. Giving Larry a chance they do "Lost In the Masquerade" with Noreena scatting along. The groove is starting to build and they all grab hold. They do the Brazilian "OOhba" song. I don't know why but that tune is starting to bore me. Larry saves it with doing his thing with Jaui and George. Noreena's expert use of vocal dynamics is on display when she sings the beautiful ballad "You've Changed". An up tempo 'bossa' and then Diana Krall's "Popsicle Toes". Here we go! "Besame Mucho". Salsa beat and nice tempo. 6 or 7 couples crowd the dance floor. I push a couple of little and old guys aside and make room for Noreena and I to show off. Now breathless, Noreena does "Wonderful" followed with a very JAZZy "Devil May Care". The last set has only 3 songs. "Lover Man", It Must Be Spring" and "'boy' From Ipanema". 

It had been a very nice way to spend the evening after the long drive back from Jacksonville. My favorite server, Shannon, was wearing more make-up than necessary. I review music but I am old enough, experienced enough and woman wise enough to know when the make-up doesn't suit the gal. Shannon is young enough to be my grand-daughter and the advice given was in that tone

Another note to Jackie: Shannon is also 'cute and sweet'. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment