Sunday, January 5, 2014

You don't have to choose...( You just have to enjoy! Isn't it so, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/05/14

...sides when it comes to listening to music. There are wonderful symphonies, great operas, fantastic JAZZ in all its forms, tango, salsa, soul, funk, rock and roll, R&B and even rap. Open your ears and try to listen objectively. It is a big world. Friday night I was privileged to hear Mike and Nicky Orta play behind a covey of female vocalists that included Luz Salizar, Debbie Orta, Lisanne Lyons, Susana Behar, Susan Richards, Giselle, Lourdes Valentin, Carla Guitterez and Nicole Henry. JAZZ vocalists one and all. I owed my pal, Frank (the cop) a night out for all the rides to the airport and his son Sean (composer, vocalist, guitar) was in town. Off to 33rd and the Livesays. The band is fronted by Billy Livesay (vocals/guitar) with Eddie Zyne (bass), Tim Murphy (piano), Jorge Plume (drums) and an old friend Cuqui Berrios playing Hammond XKc3. The genre is rock and roll. And they did just that. In contrast to last night Billy Livesay did 99% of the vocals himself. His voice is similar to Rod Stewart but the style is his own. They ran the gamut of covers and did some originals. There were no breaks between tunes, just a constant flow of well-done music. Billy deserves 5 stars for endurance alone. During the 2d set, Cucqi had a shot at the vocals and an organ solo. Every now and then a couple would get up to dance. Frank complained that there was no-one to dance with. I told him that the first thing that has to happen is "You have to ask". As if on cue, two gals got up to dance together. The crowd came to life and 'crowded the floor'.. There is no sight like gals shaking those shoulders and hips to rock and roll music. The tunes the band did included old and new. From "Kiss Me Like That", "Wake Me Shake Me", "Someone Like You" and the "Night Belongs to Love" to "Raise Your Voices Up", The Rhythm of the Blues", and "Hold Me Away From You". A couple of tunes dated back to the 50's like "She's so Fine" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered". Everyone in the room had fun. Our server, Danielle paid attention, Bret played manager nicely and the new assistant Ron was super pleasant. Frank. Sean and I headed home with smiles in our hearts. "Long Live Rock and Roll"  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment