Thursday, January 23, 2014

The temperature...(...is absurd. Let's head to Central America and check out the music scene there. You in Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/23/14

...dipped to the chilly zone on Wednesday. The sun shone brightly on the audience at the Coral Gables Museum of Art. Best of all the stars came out to play. The Miami Jazz Co-op and the city of Coral Gables, plus some sponsors produce a lunch-time concert of JAZZ every Wednesday at noon. This week we had the John Hart trio with John on guitar, the inimitable Chuck Bergeron on bass and the indefatigable John Yarling playing drums. Mr. Hart is a recent addition to the UM music department and joins Chuck on John Y. there. John Hart started the program with a tune Frank Sinatra made famous, "Witchcraft". His guitar told the story without the lyrics. Straight ahead, groovy JAZZ, with Chuck making it even more interesting. In a shuffle rhythm they did Miles' "No More Blues" and each took a turn at being the shining star. My friend Jeannette Pina arrived just as they started a John Hart original, "Minor Poet". This was the music for the 'day after tomorrow'. John played some strange, to me, chords in arrhythmic patterns. Very interesting listening. The tune transited to 4/4 with John playing a super tempo series of 32d and what must have been 64th notes. It was incredible and almost scary enough that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

The trio followed with another original "Mountain Streams" played to a 'bossnova' rhythm. John's playing brought images of a running brook, bubbling as it raced down a mountain hillside. The following tune featured Chuck doing what only he can do. Facial expressions and all. John followed and then John Y showed us all, just how it should be done. Hart noodled around with some chords and notes. I wrinkled my brow and thought hard. I recognized the changes but could not--------oh yes I could------"Skylark"-----played like I've never heard before. WOW!!! Chuck took his turn on the Hoagy Carmichael song and it was just plain great. 

Hey, give John Yarling a chance! And so they did. He did the opening chorus of "St. Thomas" and you could make out the melodic line amidst his histrionics. They closed with a Thelonius Monk tune which really rounded out the afternoons performance. It was probably the tastiest program I have heard in a long time. If Mr. John Hart can teach half as well as he can play than UM students will learn an awful lot. Thanks John, Chuck and John for a delightful hour and a half of swinging JAZZ.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment