Friday, January 24, 2014

Part of...(STOP! Allen Kanovsky, we think you came up with a line of a life-time! "The rhythm is pure funk and the view is pure pleasure." 'Nuf said!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/24/14

...a bands life on the road is once in a while you are in the right place at the right time. Last night was that kind of night for a band called the McGlovins out of Hartford CT. They were at The Funky Biscuit as the opening act for the Honey Island Swamp Band from New Orleans. There is no one in the band named McLovins! I should have asked. Jake Huffman on drums/vocals, Jason Ott (bass), Justin Berger (guitar) and Atticus Kelly at the keys. They describe their genre as 'improvisational rock 'n roll. I would call it 'good music'. The temperature in Hartford while the band played in Boca Raton was around 10 degrees. Right time-right place.

I walked in as they were playing an original "Lovely Rose". I look at the group and marvel at their youth. I think the oldest member may be 21---maybe. They continue with originals "Certified American" and "Samson Don't Have Much For Me". I am enjoying the performance as the close it down with the classic rock tune "Take A Little Ride On Me". They are doing the 20 hour drive (straight thru) to CT today. Stay safe.

The Swamp Band sets up. Aaron Wilkinson plays guitar/mandolin/harp and does some of the vocals. Chris Mule (guitar/vocals), Sam Price (bass), Trevor Brooks (B3/keys) and Garland Paul (drums). I'll take a little literary license to make this observation----much like the influence The Apple has on JAZZ musicians, N'Awlins has that same affect on the cats that ply their trade in that town. You gotta be good. And they are. Piano Bob is in he house. My pals Jimmy and Tania have joined me after their dinner elsewhere. I had the "special" for the night at the Biscuit, fried chicken with okra and rice at $5. Awful good, awful cheap. They opened with an original tune titled "Cast The First Stone". Aaron did the first few bars on harp.  Let me cast the first accolade. Chris Mule did the vocal with tremendous support from all of the band members----I almost couldn't believe my ears.

I am talking about a tight group of masterful musicians that have to be heard to believe. Tania remarks that this isn't her 'type' of music but she can't help but enjoy the sound the band produces. Charlie Boyer had told me the band was fun and he was right. They strike up "Creole Queen" and the thing I love at the Biscuit happens -- you're right -- the gals are up and shaking whatever they can shake The rhythm is pure funk and the view is pure pleasure. The band continues with another song. None of the dancers have sat down. "You gotta gut through the darkness to walk in the light" is a lyric line from one of their tunes I often tell friends that the reason I can live the life that I live is because I walk in the path of His light.

From the sublime to sublimation---the next tune was "300 pounds of Columbian Gold". I dig B3. Trevor Brooks had me leaning forward to catch every note. Switching gears from funk/BLUES/rock they figuratively put on straw hats, hayseeds between their teeth and do pure 'country' on a tune called "Come Love Me Like You Used To Do". We return to the real world with the classic rock tune "Good Love". The band does some great unison work. Now guys are up dancin' with the gals. I stop paying attention. Do it all? Yes they do. Now a little 'bluegrass" with "Blue Bonnet Road". Returning to the rock/funk mode "Shot Before I Sleep". Whatcha Gonna Do" and "Running Around". The mandolin playing by Aaron, great bass lines by Sam, the vocals and guitar by Chris, the driving force of Garland and most impressive of all the work of Trevor on the B3.

They play a long version of "Bring Me Home" and I am tappin' 'n clappin'. They close with "Wishing Well" and finally give Sam the spotlight--he enjoys it and shows it. I hope those of you who read this appreciate the hard work and dedication musicians like the Honey Island Swamp Band do to bring you a couple of hours of pleasure. Live music deserves your support. Regardless of genre. Drop the phone, turn off the TV. Check the music listings at JAZZBLUESflorida.com. Now turn off the computer, get off your butts and have some fun listening to the music. Live and in living color.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment