Monday, January 6, 2014

Managing time, space and...(And, considering this is Allen Kanovsky talking, we can assume EXECUTIVE level management!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/06/14

...distance is a developed skill. In order to take advantage of 'happy hour' prices you must calculate how far, how long and how much time it will take to get there. I have the gift. I walked into the 'joint' with minutes to spare. How does a club get to be honored with the term 'joint? The two major ingredients are the opportunity to listen to good live music and meet good live people.  

My friends, Mark and Babette were seated at the bar. My buddy Bill was in a booth with Gene Pontrelli (trumpet) and Gene's wife. A good looking couple had come in and as I was heading for an available seat, it became a dead heat. The three of us arrived simultaneously. "Go ahead" said in unison. "No, you" again in unison. Good folks are good folks. We agree on joining one another. Renee and Donn. Good looking and obviously in love. The wedding date is set for Feb 1 in Key West at the Hemingway House at 5:30.

********MUSICIANS PLEASE NOTE*******
Renee and Donn are actively seeking JAZZ musicians to do a 2 hour cocktail party. Duo or trio. If interested contact me and I will put you in touch. 954 391 9215.

Okay, the music. Anthony Corrado(1,000 instruments plus vocals) Shea Eischen(drums) and Paul Banman (piano) are on the stand. It is the Sunday Jam and Anthony invites a lady, Terry Ross, up. A couple of seconds to establish the key and tempo. Terry starts to sing--- I mean sing! She does "God Bless the Child". Ms. Ross infuses the BLUES tune with touches of JAZZ providing a unique interpretation of this standard. I made her promise to show up at the Funky Biscuit tonight. A couple of tunes and 23 instruments later, Anthony invites Gene up. They do a lively "Bill Bailey" with Anthony doing banjo. It is while until the "Sound of Vision" set so I walk across the street to another 'joint'. This is a BLUES bar. On stage are Drew Preston(guitar), Ed on bass, Jon Zeeman (guitar) and for the first time I see Tim Regis (keys,B3) sitting at the trap set. My nickname for him is the Chameleon. He changes genres and instruments at will. It is also the first time I see Drew in a jacket. I wonder if he has come into a huge inheritance or met a girl. Joanne Nathan (keys) is at the bar and says maybe Bobby will show up after a gig elsewhere. There were more firsts. Tim does a vocal "Get High, Get Low". Andy G. (drums) sings "The Thrill Is Gone" with a few scat bars at the closing. Jon sings and plays "The Night I Was Born". Antony Livoti(drums) and Richie Goldman(bass) are in the house. Drew blows the door off with "Watchtower". I had missed Jon's daughter Zoe playing bass with the band but Joanne said she did a great job. They took a break and I hiked the 30 yards back to the other 'joint'. The band was now part "Sound of Vision", Orlando Machado on drums and Scott Klarman (Tenor sax/EWI) and The Tim Bluntson (vocals) Duo and George Tandy (piano). They did a couple of tunes before Tim took the stage. One of them was "Mambo In". Tim opens his portion with "I'm So In Love with You" and continues with a program of soul inspired covers. Couples get up to dance including Mark & Liz. Renee my table mate knows all the tunes and Tim notices. They exchange some chat and bring up a "thing" called the Prep. A kind of hand dance that was used as conversation in the "305". They close the set with a rockin' "Superstition". Back across the street Regis is on the keyboard, Antony has joined in on drums, Jon and Drew are in the usual spot and they close it down with a swinging BLUES. Another short walk and now Anthony is jamming with the band. At times Anthony can invoke his JAZZ chops. Mr. Bluntson started singing in church at age 2. At his first appearance, congregants came up to him, putting small change in his hand. There ain't nothing like money to turn one's head. His father was a pastor in the Pentecostal church so the 'soul' is inbred. The audience had fun with couples dancing. I took a turn with Lisa and hand-danced with Babette. Tim got all the guys in the room up on stage to help him with "Hey, Hey, Hey". Their vocal intonations weren't bad, but don't ask 'white guys' to dance-------The song concluded the 2d set.

Renee, Donn and I chatted a while about their upcoming wedding. Renee is an independent, tough minded, today, type of gal. She said she would not cry at her wedding. I stopped gambling 7 years ago but I can't pass up the opportunity for easy money. I will lay 9 to 5 that Renee will shed a tear at sometime during that day. How can I be so sure? All you have to do is to look into her dark eyes and watch how he looks at her. All wagers are limited to $1, which means you could win $1.80 for your buck. Don't count on it. The Funky Biscuit tonight and I hope Ms. Terry Ross shows up. 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment