Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pick a color,...(and by the look of the new pick, it appears Allen Kanovsky picks RED! Did you drive that to The Fish House, Al?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/18/14

...any color. No this is not a magic trick. It's a tale of good friends, good wine and most of all good music. When I say music I am talking about the BLUES. Last night my Cuba crew, Elaine Porteous, Jimmie Belize and I met my buddy Bill at The Fish House in Kendall. We were there for one reason and one reason only. Nico Wayne Toussaint. Nico is in the states to compete in the IBC (International Blues Challenge) in Memphis next week. He plays harmonica (harp to BLUESites). I don't know if he is the best in the world but he comes real close. He has incredible technique and musicality. Nico is steeped in the tradition of the BLUES. It is reflected in everything he plays. I would run through the play list but I am running late ---- the Coral Gables BLUES Festival ----- let it suffice to say that Martine & Jacques (the incomparable dance couple) loved every beat. With him on stage was Michel Amoros playing guitar. The duo had the audience in their grasp to the very last note of the night. Nico was very special to Flo. He dedicated a tune to her memory. It was very thoughtful of him and I thank him for it. Louis Jordan to John Hammond, a little bit of rock 'n roll, some original compositions and a host of BLUES. Gladys (Michel's wife) got up to sing a couple and I must say the girl has got a set of pipes. It is her first visit to the U.S.A. She may bring some luck to them in Memphis-----Hey! Gotta go---Coral Gables BLUES Festival. Thanks, Harald Neuweg for putting this amazing blues marathon together. The 16th thru forever (the 26th of January and is FREE). Hey new foto on my facebook page. Cuba--1956 Red Chevy convertible---Santa Claus is coming to town.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment