Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Confucius says... (Would that be a CONFUSED Confucius, Allen Kanovsky? - Perhaps as muddled as those mint leaves?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/07/14

..."That Cuba trip really messed up Al's head." The other day I wrote Rod Sterling meaning Rod Stewart. Yesterday I wrote Tim for Tom and Pearson for Preston. I stopped my medication and have refrained from adult beverages for at least 10 hours. I washed my face, combed the few remaining hairs and brushed my teeth.  Then I headed for The Funky Biscuit and David Shelley's Monday Night BLUES Jam. Best idea I've had in several days. I will meet my buddy Jimmy Belize and our fellow Cuba traveler Tania. Jimmy is responsible for that  touched up picture of me at the top.  The session opens with Dave, Drew Preston (guitar), Charles Gaspar (bass), Tom Regis (keys/B3),  Randy Ridenauer (drums) and Steve on pocket trumpet and flugelhorn.  Drew is wearing a jacket, once more. I asked him about it. "New girl friend. She dresses me..." 

They start the set with a new BLUES, "Get Love From A Stone". Tania Blues spots me and I get a hug and a kiss or vice a versa. The next tune is appropriate to the moment. "Are You Ready For Me". The band really gets in a groove with "Congo Square". " I Was Superman" is followed with the shuffle rhythmed "Dream About You,Baby".  Really singing the BLUES, Dave does the vocal and then "tells it" with a dynamic guitar solo. Drew also delivers "taking his time". Bob Grabau (tenor sax) steps up to join in on "Don't Tell Her, Her Daddy's In Jail".  With Bob still on stage, Drew sings "Locked In the Prison of Love".  

The next guy up, features himself. More antics than music, so he will remain nameless.  He jumps up and down, crouches and drops to his knees and generally impresses himself. I stifled a yawn. Fortunately, he had young William Jolly (bass) on stage with him.  

Kenny Faithful takes the stage to do a couple of nice BLUES tunes. Really good delivery.  Dave returns to do "Just Want To Be the Man I Am." Jamie King Colton sits down at the B3  and they play "I Wanna Go Home".  J.L Fulks (guitar/vocals) taking the stage with vocalist Sam Hampton McGuire to do "The Thrill Is Gone" The thrill was definitely not gone with Sam's soulful rendition. J.L. plays and sings "All I Had Is Gone". Dave is back with "I'm A Confidence Man" with a dynamic solo by Jamie. Kelmo (bass), wearing a Russian Military fur hat (from now on he will be known to me as Commissar Kelmo) takes the bass in hand. Steve Price (guitar) joins him and they do a series of BLUES tunes with Steve and Drew sharing the spotlight. It is time for Jamie to shine and he does with "Stormy Monday". All are on stage with Dave to close the show down with "Born Under A Bad Sign".  

Al Poliak, the Biscuit's proprietor, had left when FSU fell behind 21-3. He was wearing a Seminole shirt and cap. A tear formed but did not roll down his cheek. I'm sure he felt better when the clock ticked off the last few seconds of the game that FSU came back twice to win.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment