Friday, January 10, 2014

It was a dark...(Good thing there is neon, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/10/14

...and stormy night. The song says "Thursday's just as bad". Had to get out and shake my dark mood. The cure has always been music. Off I go to a place that goes by "Ye Olde Falcon Pub". Yeah, it has an e at the end of old. It is supposed to invoke thoughts of a pub on a dirt road in England. Actually it is across the street from Nova University. When you walk through the door, immediately to your left, is a room where they are playing cards. As I have mentioned before, I have stopped gambling, therefor I am not sure what they are playing. Gin Rummy? Pinochle? Klabiash? Noooooo! It's poker of course. I fight temptation and choose drink as my vice. One of the dining areas is now occupied by the Mike Norris JAZZ Orchestra who will be performing tonight. The walls of the room are hung with pub mirrors advertising names of obscure beers and ales. They include 'Leinenkugels' (*copy reader's note - spelling corrected by a Wisconsinite, thank you very much!) and 'Frangizkaner'. Music----this is supposed to be about the music----Oh, yeah.

This is 'big band' JAZZ. Mike Norris Jazz Orchestra BIG BAND. 4 trumpets, Tony Pearsall, John Sheu, Mark Ordway and Glen Friedman. 4 'bones Tom Lacy, Mike Egan, Jim Mc Gonigal, and Mike Balogh. The sax section, Luis disla, Carlos Perez, Scott Austin, Bob Vandivort And Carlos Pinera. On bass, Andrew Musselman, gutar was Aaron Stang and the drums were played by Mike Norris himself. They opened with a rousing "Norwegian Wood". To me, there is nothing like 'big band'. The layers of rhythm and melody always grab my attention. The band followed with a tune that was unfamiliar, "OK with Jay". It was definitely an OK chart. Everyone in the place was clappin' and tappin' when they swung into "In The Mood" bringing back my years in CA. hanging with the USC alumni. The tenor sac caught a groove and Mark did some great high note licks. "Basically BLUES" was charted for the Buddy Rich band and featured the trumpet section and a really nice trombone solo. Then they played a tune that brought my childhood to mind. "Rotten Kid". A term my older sisters would use when referring to their baby brother. There was a very good alto solo and Mike showed his chops in just 8 bars. During the break a young man comes over to shake my hand, saying "It's nice to see you again". I'm puzzled. He says, "The other day. You had breakfast with me and Mike at Dunkin donuts." His name is Rob Leeds and he is opening a recording and rehearsal studio on 33St. in Ft. Lauderdale. He must remember my face from the movie I was never in. Yeah, yeah, the music. The 2d set started with something I had heard them do before, a West Side Story reprisal. I liked it the first time and this time was just as good. Every section gets a turn at blowing and impressing. Another tune I hadn't heard before, "My Mans Gone" and Mark hits that upper register, making me really pay attention. They do "Channel 1 Suite" which has complex charts and difficult riffs. The band accepts the challenge and does t well. I think the last tune is titled "Nutville", but don't count on it. The one thing I was sure of, it was pure big band and let one and all stand up and blow. As I was leaving I spoke with Hector and Armando. They are out of Detroit, Michigan and glad to be in town for a filming. Their band is called 'Dynamic of Salsa'. I think I will adopt that monicker for myself!!!! Lots going on tonight----Where will I be? Call me about 5pm. Check the listing for your own decision.



Side note: about my gambling. still taking action on Renee crying on her wedding day. I think one of her guests has horned in on my game and is offering the same odds. in the interest of fairness I will now make it a straight 2 to 1. Limited to $1 bets. This venture is neither sponsored or approved by my publisher-------al k   




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment