Saturday, October 5, 2013

Tough decisions...(are still sometimes tough for tough guys, right Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/5/13

...Friday night and musical choices abound---JAZZ--BLUES, from Miami Beach to West Palm - and beyond! I live in the midst all of it.

My friends from CA are working near Lake Worth. A new Latin JAZZ band will be at the Havana Hideout on Lake Ave. That narrows the selection list. You know me and my proclivity to the rhythm of clave. The band is named "Salvaje" which is Spanish for 'savage' or 'wild'. The connecton being the leaders name is Kevin Wilde (trumpet/flugelhorn). 
Band members include Manny Patino(bass), Abel Pabon(keys), Roberto Roriguez(drums) and Tony Verdo(latin percussion).  They open with "Nicoles Dreaming" an up tempo samba tune. Another (unknown to me) and then "A Day In the Life of a Fool"(Morning of Carnivale).  Manny Patito is also a composer and the band plays one of his writings. They do a Cal Tjader tune with a featured timbale solo by Tony. Then some Latin funk titled "The Red Baron" which for all purposes ends the first set. They start the 2d set with a salsa rhythm. A pretty gal is seated near the bandstand and shaking her shoulders to the beat. You know what happened next. Yes, I asked her to dance and we did. Her name is Hypatia Read and she was with her friend Maru. Hypatia is Greek for mathematician---surprise! she is a tax preparer. Roberto sings, displaying a pleasant voice. They do a Latin flavored "Caravan" with Kevin showing off his "chops" on trumpet and flugelhorn. I am not sure, but I think "Higher Ground" is a Coletrane composition. They come back to funk with "What's Going On" and then super trumpet and timbale solos when they do "Softly, As In the Morning Sunlight". I cannot leave out that solos by Abel, Roberto and Manny were also impressive. The band was playing together for only the third time and are still on the road to coalescing but are making real progress. Luis, Mario and Boris and I enjoyed the evening and the company Hypatia and Maru . 

Small world story. Prior to my buds showing up I sat at a table with a couple of guys. Some pleasant conversation and I tell them about my writings for JAZZBLUESFLORIDA. It turns out that Robert Anderson(RacePartner) is an old friend of the publisher, Charlie Boyer. He sends best regards. Robert and Charlie are in related businesses. Robert does what he calls Integrated Online Solutions. 

Can't wait for tonight and Dr. John at FESTIVAL MIAMI! (Editor's Note - I just now checked and there is ONE SEAT still available for Dr. John's performance tonght in Coral Gables. If YOU want it, follow this link and get it NOW!  
https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/performance.html?method=pickSeatManual&perfId=9804185&sectionId=1036090 )


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment