Friday, October 4, 2013

There is an old...(no comment about the "old" part, and who uses those sayings, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/04/13

...saying---"Youth must be served."  It's true. They come to the time in life when we have to pay attention to what they are doing. It is also a fact that they must be taught how to listen, how to learn, how to dedicate themselves, how to have purpose and how to successfully achieve their goals. Last night at Jakes Speakeasy in Hallandale, I heard 4 high school seniors who paid attention to the lessons. All are seniors at Dillard High School for Performing Arts. They owe what they have become to the tutoring and mentoring of the musical director, Mr. Christopher Dorsey. My everlasting thanks to that man. 

The 4 young musicians were the very creative Zack Alexander(guitar), the guy who thrashes the paradiddle, Charlie Steiner(drums),  Chris Mills(bass) doing more than 'walking the dog', and out front on tenor sax, toying with the phrasing of every solo, Ben Stocker. I have been fortunate to have heard Ben when he was only 12 and jamming BLUES at the Fish House in Kendall. It's a tale of caterpillar to butterfly. The 4 young men were dressed like musicians back in the day. Coats, ties and dress slacks. There was a time when musicians were the sharpest folks in town. Most of the time, nowadays, you could mistake them for the gentleman who is there to work on the pipes. The band starts with a bop tempo tune(title unknown to me), and then swing into "There Will Never Be Another You". It is impossible for me to not think of Flo whenever I hear that song. They do "I'll Remember Autumn" and are joined by fellow student Dared Golden(tenor sax). One more I don't recognize and then the very familiar "Lester Leaps In". They jump a few generations to do "Blue Monk", ending the set. I am joined by Ben's parents Mike and Susan, her brother Carl and family friend Quito. Another listener makes a request for Elvis's "Heartbreak Hotel". A guy named Lance politely tells him that this band is playing JAZZ. It turns out that Lance's dad owned the Fantasy Lounge in 'Philly'. It was located across the street from the studios of Philly International Records. He is known as "Philly Red" and is the host of JAZZ night at Jakes. When the band returns, the audience is treated to a very creative solo by Zack and then an attention getter by Charlie. Ben shows he is unafraid of getting up to blow songs made famous by others. He renders "Body & Soul" and you would never believe this is a kid, still in high school. They run through a play list including "What Is This Thing", "Lover Come Back To Me", "Perdido" and "Love For Sale" proving that good music lives forever. Ben takes center stage to do a song from the 30's. It is played from deep within him. "I Hear A Rhapsody". There is a lyric line that I think is one of the most romantic ever written----


And when I hear you speak
 so softly to me,
 I don't hear your voice at all,
I hear a rhapsody 

Alex and his wife Polina(mistakenly referred to as Jennifer last time) have undertaken an ambitious task in bringing live JAZZ to Hallandale via JAKES. I do not promote clubs but I do encourage JAZZophiles to support the clubs and musicians who are dedicated to bringing us the music we love----JAZZ. Thursday is JAZZ nite at Jakes Speakeasy. Read the sign on the door for an explanation. 
Friday is always a tough one for decisions---

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment