Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Full Moon & Empty Arms"...(not sure if Allen Kanovsky is explaining a situation or taking out a personal ad here, but Mike Norris Jazz Orchestra will play on, regardless!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/17/13

...is the title of a tune from a long time ago. Wednesday night had a full "Moon Over Miami"(another tune from yesteryear) and I had empty arms. There is a cure. Find a suitable dance partner. You have to start the prescription with music. Preferably live. Add room to dance. Eureka---I got it. Pax in Miami. A big band, Mike Norris and his JAZZ Orchestra. 17 talented musicians including Scott Austin, Dom Cama, Ross Goldman, Bob Vandervourt and Carlos Pinera in the sax section- Major Bailey, Andrew Freidrichs, Russel Freeland and Mike Egan, trombones-Ryan Chapman, Tony Pearsall, Mike Cordone and Stephan Klein, trumpets-Kevin Maddox, piano-Scott Hadsell, bass-Ken Mazzalone, guitar and Mike Norris on drums. My buddy Bill Rutan is there but he doesn't 'follow' so I will not ask him to dance. A contingent from the "South Florida Lindy Collective" are in attendance. These folks are dedicated to "Swing Era" dancing.

The JAZZ Orchestra opens with a hot "Blew By Yesterday" then do "Goodbye Yesterday" followed by "Basie cally Blues". This gets the first couple up to dance. They are Martin & Tracey. While Dom Cama is blowing a great flute solo and Russel is scatting, the couple is doing the slow JAZZ Lindy. The last chorus has Russel playing a plunger mute solo. Showing off the orchestral sound they do the "Theme From the Tonight Show". The orchestra plays something in 6/4 which I don't recognize. "Georgia" and "Just In Time" has couples dancing again. Everyone there knows how to dance much better than I. I refrain from embarrassing myself with a lame attempt at emulation. The arrangement of "Just" is complex and I marvel at the time it must take to master a chart like that. The band closes the set with the "Prelude to West Side Story". My eyes are on Mike, watching his hands. It's like watching ballet. The left hand is the male dancer. The right has the feminine role. The left providing the firm base with the right using all of the stage. No I did not smoke or drop anything prior to the performance. Jeannette has arrived and joins Bill and I. 

The JAZZ orchestra starts the 2d set with a couple of tunes I don't recognize but provide the sounds for the dancers to use. Martin & Tracey show off their "Hop Lindy" steps. A tune titled "Channel 1 Suite" features a chart that has dramatic changes in dynamics and textures. It is a piece that captures your attention. The evening comes to a close with "Love For Sale". If you ever meet me face to face, ask me about my relationship to that particular song. As I left, the moon was still full, my arms were still empty but my soul was filled with appreciation of the job done by this wonderful band. An "attaboy", a handshake and a pat on the back to each. Thanks for a great evening of listening.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment