Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Oh, What A Night It Was...(Allen? Allen!? ALLEN KANOVSKY! WAKE UP!!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/3/13

...The Night I Met----Lilli Nicole McCloud. From a glistening clinging gown to a Michael Jackson costume to a Folies Bergere bustierre to the finale in skin-tight leather--a show that I will not soon forget. A long time friend from my CA years was in town on business and I suggested Blue Jeans Blues for a meeting with him, Luis Ortiz, his brother Mario and associate Boris. I had never heard Lilli before but BJB's was a convenient location for both of us. We were all real happy with the decision. The music---I know---I know! The band backing Ms. McCloud had A..J. Niles on guitar and vocals, Jason Roberts(drums), William Adderly(Keyboards) and T.J. Osborne(bass). They opened with a funky-BLUES and there was instant excitement all through the crowded house. Then Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride & Joy." I was in my element and the California contingent was clappin' and tappin'. They introduce Lilli and she takes the stage in that gown with a full-blown Afro hairdo. She does make an impression. Lilli Nicole is in the final four on the TV show X Factor and Melody gives her a token gift of a pair of X Factor glasses.  She opts for "What's Going On". Her voice is compelling and true. Her inner excitement drives the band into a jammin' groove. The musical temperature in the room is starting to rise. Next she sings "I Make You Crazy" and then descends into the audience for "Knock On Wood". The mood in the room is electric. Now she gets 'em up and dancing with "Rock Steady" and "Notion". Luis, Mario, Boris and I are enjoying the wine, food and the vision of all that shaking. The room is dead quiet (unusual for the BJB crowd) as Lilli sings "This Is No Ordinary Love". Luis, who at one time had an Asian girl friend tells me that in Chinese Lilli means "double beauty". Changing back to rock mode with "That's The Way I Like It" has my buddy Marc up on the floor with his college day moves. One of the most beautiful women I have seen in my life passes by. I can't help but follow her to her table. I tell her just what I told you. Her name is Marie LaTourtue. Her smile and personality match her beauty. Lilli sings "Superstition" and the band closes the set with an instrumental. She opens the 2d set dressed as Michael Jackson, gloves, hat and all. She does all of M.J.s tunes with appropriate hand and dance motions. Singing from on top of a table she has captured the audience. The band plays without her for a few minutes and when she returns, Lilli is in a black sequins bustierre.  Stop the trains, close the door and call the law, right now!!!!  She sings a medley of R&R songs from the 50's and 60's. Mario gets up to dance with the hottest lady in town, Susan Ashley. I would join her on the floor anywhere, any place, any time. You would probably be reading my "obit" shortly thereafter. During one of her songs, Ms. McCloud takes my hand, leading me on to the dance floor, to do a little shuffle with her. I later asked her why she chose me---her answer "You emit the vibe".  Again Lilli leaves the room for a costume and mood change. Now comes that skin-tight black leather. She turns her back to the audience, there are no kids in the audience, and that black leather covering her bottom does a little dance of its own. My blood pressure is soaring, there is pounding in my ears and my breath is coming in short gasps. She turns and does "Rollin' On The River." From tabletops to bar-top she continues to mesmerize the audience with performance art. The lady is in perpetual movement as she does each number. An emotion filled "I Will Always Love You".  The evening draws to a close. I ask Lilli for her favorite lyric line---Michael Jacksons "We Are The World". The music wasn't the BLUES or JAZZ but she and the band provided 100% entertainment. A night of fun for me and my 'migos from East L.A. 

During cocktail hour, Jessi Campo performed with Alex D. She has a haunting voice, he plays a notable tenor sax. Unfortunately they play with tracks due to budget constraints. They're musical skill are evident but I have no knowledge of recorded music so I am not qualified to review it.
 My friends are in town tonight and tomorrow---who knows!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment