Sunday, October 20, 2013

If I've said it once...(Yes, you have. Do you realize you are repeating yourself, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/20/13

I've said it a thousand times---the best laid plans of mice and men are often put asunder---it is not an original line. Robert Burns a Scot wrote it originally as "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley". It is one of the absolute 'truisms' of life. Saturday night I started my car at 6:30 PM. I was leaving early because I had misplaced my ticket for the Ana Popovic concert at the University of Miami's Gusman Hall. It is usually a 40 to 50 minute drive. I did not park at the hall until 9:30 because of a shutdown on I95. I was in time to catch her last song "Hold On' and the encore "Going To Learn To Shake It". Can you write a review based on hearing only 2 songs? Here goes. Ana plays guitar. Her band has John Williams on bass and vocals, Stef Avellaneda on drums and Stephen Malinowski on keys and the Hammond B3. All of the music I heard was exciting. The only question I have is, In an auditorium with excellent acoustics and a great sound system why do BLUES/Rock bands have the volume set at 10? Volume is measured in decibels. Dec is the operative part of that word. Meaning measured 1 to 10. I know that in some venues if it's not set at the max, no one will hear the band. But---------

It's early and the Titanic Brewery is just around the corner. They have live music. The band tonight is the HooDoo Blue BLUES Band. They were also caught in the I95 shutdown and are just setting up as I arrive. Geo "hoodoo geo" Bokrakos is the drummer and leader. Al "soul" Ferreira plays tenor, bari, flute and does some vocals, Luke 'catfish" Williams on guitar and vocals and Jim 'duke" Kelly playing bass and vocals. This the only band I have ever reviewed in which each and every band member has a nickname. The play list is varied covering BLUES, funk, R&B and swing. They are a well rehearsed, professional group of musicians who are good to listen to. Yes, they play loud but not unpleasantly so. I have grown used to "loud". It doesn't bother me. There are times when I wish bands played and singers sang louder. They opened with "Coming Home, Al playing flute. The playlist included a 2d line rhythm "Chicago" and Luke doing the lyrics to "Caldonia" in 'bounce time'. They do a BLUES. "Everyday" with a funky back-beat. "Wooly-Wooly" and "Hootchy Kootchy Man" conclude the first set. Al comes over and asks if it's too loud. Most people my age are intolerant of "loud". I think it has its time and place. "No, Al, It is not too loud". At the start of the 2d set, the rhythm catches a couple of the ladies who proceed to get up and shake that 'thang'. One of the two is Sasha Parker, Blonde and beautiful. The other woman has to remain anonymous, refusing to giver name. "A Secret Life" mayhaps?. "Midnight Howl", "Mustang Sally", "Peter Gunn Theme", Elvis's "Your Sister", "I Feel Good", the Beatles "I Saw You Standing There" and a multi genre program including "Watermelon Man" and "All Night Long". It has been a long night and I know it is time to head home. Each of the band members had taking his turn at "showing off" and did well. I say "Goodnight" and "Thanks" to all. Got home safe and plan to spend Sunday with Duffy Jackson up at Arts Garage starting at 2:00 PM. Better than football!!!!!  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment