Friday, October 25, 2013

Choose your battles...(certainly not with Lourdes Valentin or Barbara Van at Jakes, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/25/13

All of us have encountered challenges. At times we have suffered defeat. We have gloried in our victories. Alex, who now owns Jakes on Hallandale Beach Boulevard, with his wife have undertaken the task to create a successful JAZZ club in Hallandale. They are dedicated to succeeding. Presently, they are searching South Florida for the talent that will appear at their club. Last night they had local JAZZ vocalist Lourdes Valentin with Jeff Padowitz on keys. When I arrived, Lourdes was in mid-song doing "Over the Rainbow". The duo continued with a really nice "Nature Boy", then "All Of Me" in a Latin rhythm and including a scat portion.  She sings "Desafonado" in Portugese followed by a JAZZ based "All Of Me". She remembers Lambert, Hendrix and Ross when she does "In A Mellow Tone". Dedicating "Wade In The Water" to Diana Echezabel and Denny Brenn who run a program called "Dining With Jesus" designed to help feed the homeless.

Lourdes plays a soulful guitar solo along with her vocal. Ms. Valentin has a 'thing' for Harold Arlen songs and she does a swinging "If I Only Had A Brain" morphing to a mambo rhythm for the second chorus. The next set is opened with "Too Marvelous" with Jeff making me listen closely to what he has to 'say'. Displaying her range, Lourdes sings, "Secret Love". Barbara Van has arrived as well as Lourdes good friend Marcie Voce. Lourdes invites Barbara up and Ms Van sings "What A difference A Day Makes". Lourdes returns for a duet on "Rte 66". It is not in Lourdes usual key but she adjusts and does a real good job. Lourdes loves Latin so they do "One Note Samba" Her scat vocal is pure "Carioca" and puts you on the streets of Rio. Singing accapello she does "Isn't It A Lovely Day". Jeff is back on keys when they do "God Bless the Child". Jeff, all alone, plays "And I Love Her". It is an exceptional display of JAZZ musicianship. When they do "Close Your Eyes" in salsa rhythm I take Lourdes down from the stage to do a little hip shaking. Lourdes and I were brought up in the same neighborhood of the Bronx. At different times of course, but 'Ritmo Latino' is still in our souls. To set the mood for the final set, Lourdes picks up her guitar to play while she sings her original song, "Moon."

It is a beautiful piece of music. At Marci's request they repeat "Favorite Things" and no one is upset by the repetition of the song. She sings "Count Your Blessing" and concludes with "Quiet Nights". Jakes is planning an ambitious JAZZ oriented program for the future. Speak with him about open dates. I wouldn't have chosen a JAZZ club as my battle. It is a tough job to put it mildly. He is worthy of support in his effort. 

Correction: Please note the area code for Bo Hashi is 917 and his email is bohashi@yahoo.com 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment