Thursday, October 24, 2013

It was a dark and dreary night...(Allen Kanovsky must be back up in the Big Apple, right? He CAN'T be talking FLA here!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/24/13

The tropical rain was coming down in hard sheets. Doom lurked in the shadows of the palms. A perfect excuse to curl up with a good book or doze while the tube flickered with the sound off.

Nooooooo!! There's live JAZZ and BLUES being played around town. No time for gloom. It is decision time. JAZZ? BLUES? North? South? OOOBOPSHABAM! PAX(Performing Artists Exchange) in Miami. As Curly of the 3 Stooges might say "Poifect". Big band. Full 18 pieces. Slightly Latin influenced JAZZ.  Grab a poncho. Note book. Car keys. Away we go!!!

Pete Francis(trumpet) is the band leader. The sax section has Ismael Vergara(alto), Arturo Aranga(alto), Taylor Vega(tenor), Luis Amat(tenor) and Sapo Tercero Gonzalez playing baritone. On trombones, Tom Warfel, Ruben Caban, Steve Sigmund and Ramces Marsilli. In the balcony(trumpet section) are Jesus Mato, Tony Pearsall, Ray Chicalo, and Josue Rodriguez. There is an all-star rhythm section with Erick Castaneda(congas), George Mazzeo(drums)---didn't I see him Tuesday?, Rafael Valencia(bass guitar) and the guy who teaches me about music, Jim Gasior on piano. They open with a Ray Barreto tune and you know how I feel about clave. A conga solo introduces the song. Jim's solo sets the mood and Taylor Vega, playing soprano, does a melody laden take. I don't recognize the next one but it has an unusual chord structure opened by the trombones. The tempo is spirited and I am dancing in my chair when Jeannette Pina arrives. 
Pete describes the next as being played in the Colombian/Venezuelan rhythm of Aropo.

At is not so much  pok--pok-pok--pok-pok as pok--pok-pok-pok, at least to me. "Dolce" is next and the entire sax section has solos and is featured doing this beautiful bolero. An exceptional, full orchestra arrangement of "Afro-Blue", with all the horns taking part. An original composition by bassist Rafael Valencia allows each and every band member to do their thing. I didn't catch the details but the band closes the set with another original by one of the band members. Sorry.------I have an appointment with Dr. Ana-Apaza at 7:30 AM. If you don't want to fall in love, stay away from this M.D. I gotta go home and catch forty in order for me to be at my best when she reaches inside my shirt, presses something against my chest and says "Breathe normally"-----Yeah, sure!!!!!!    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment