Saturday, June 15, 2013

Runnin' late....


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/15/13

...but better late than--------.

I get to Joe's just in time to catch Brenda Alford finish the set with a 2d line rhythm to "You Are My Sunshine". It puts an immediate smile on my face and bounce in my step. Her trio is Joai Schneider(keys), Paul Shewchuck(bass) and Lenny Steinberg at the kit. Already there, are pals Capt. Bob and his "adopted son" Davis, Mr. and Mrs. Rick Katz(Miami JAZZ co-op), Brenda's husband Joe, Nika Garcia(she appears tonight) and a group of Brenda's friends who declined having their names mentioned by a JAZZ/BLUES blogger. Brenda is as versatile a stylist as you can find. Her ballads are tender, her jump tunes swing, novelties make you smile and her BLUES reflect that Baltimore upbringing. Baltimore was Billie Holidays hometown and somehow the gal singers that are from there carry a piece of her with them. When she sang a funky tune, all of her friends got up to "dance in the aisles". When a performer can do that, you know they have done their job well. It is what it is all about.

During the break Joai reminded me that he is not only a pretty face. He composed the tune "La Cuna" which is now a Latin standard. He also let me know that he has a full-size(6'2") grand piano for sale.

Brenda sang "L is for", "I Cried For You", "It Must Be Love" a scatatatic "Cherokee", a very tender "Get Here If You Can" and a tribute to Billie, "All Of Me". She softened the mood with "I Cried My Last Tears Yesterday" and closed with "Bye,Bye Blackbird" One of the unnamed ladies was shaking what you shake behind her chair. I graciously took her hand and walked the lady onto the area where we could do a step or two. The anonymous gal can dance. Thank You, Ma'am!!. Before Leaving Rick showed me a picture of the license plate on his new car----JAZZ----. How in the world????

I asked Brenda for her favorite lyric line. "The summer of a thousand July's" from the song "You Go To My Head". The reason we haven't seen Brenda lately is because her job as an educator has kept her busier than usual. She is now back on "the scene'. Rick and his wife are going to Arts Garage for the South Florida Jazz Orchestra tonight. So am I. 
      
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment