Thursday, December 18, 2014

Wotta Band!!!! (And, Wotta a place, The Fish House is, as per Allen Kanovsky)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/18/14

Bad accident and construction created traffic jams as I was headed to The Fish House on Miller Rd. in Kendall. I arrived as the band played the final notes of the first set. My buddy Bill was with our friend Louise and they had saved me a seat in the filled to capacity music room. 

The band had Rudolfo Zuniga (drums), Jamie Ousley (bass), Cisco Dimas (trumpet), Tim Jago (guitar) and young David Leon (alto sax). Rodolfo had organized the evening featuring JAZZ of the 50's. He had copied the charts from the recordings of the era. It is impossible to describe what I heard. Ever more creative solos by each of the band members. JAZZ musicians have a unique way of inspiring one another. The play list included "Del Sassee" and "Serenity". The jam opened with Ian Munoz (sax), Kelly Gonzeles (trumpet), Jose Albuzu (bass)  and Tommy on trombone. Their tune was "Solar". Ian is as tall as a bass guitar is long and blows as if he is 6'5". Kelly continues to improve and Jose is a talent all unto his own. Tommy plays t-bone and is equally adept on drums. Ben Stocker (tenor) joined Tom Kelly (tenor) and a couple of unnamed jammers to do "There Will Never Be Another You". Ben & Tom augmented one another with really nice solos. Jose's solo added to my enjoyment of the evening. Keanu joins the band on baritone sax along with Francesca Romero on keys to do "My Shining Hour". They choose to 'bop' the BLUES with Patrick Converse joining in on trumpet. Francesca loves playing the BLUES and it shows with her solo. 

A classmate of David's is a young lady, Danielle Wetz. She sings and I mean SINGS. She joins the group to do "Mean To Me". Danielle is a JAZZ singer in every sense of the word. Great range. Unafraid to take chances with melody, rhythm or lyric lines. Sensitivity to the song while being creative. Her scat section could be attributed to a much more seasoned performer. She can achieve her dreams if she keeps her eye on the target. 

My thanks to Angela for her continuing devotion to presentation of live JAZZ & BLUES. 

JAZZ has lost someone very special. China Valles' passing marks the end of an era when radio disc jockeys who featured JAZZ and especially be-bop were few and far between. The Mahj was among the best. I would like to express my heart-felt condolences to all his family. He loved music. We all loved China. A Dio mi amigo!  












Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment