Monday, December 8, 2014

"Fools rush in...(..and as usual, Allen Kanovsky is the first one through the door to see Eddy Balzola & Danny Burger!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/08/14

…where wise men never go." But wise men don't exist in the age of changing technology (and paraphrasing). I am the perfect example. I never considered myself wise although a couple of times guys with bent noses have asked me "Are you some kind of wise guy?" and Miss Kelleher, an English teacher in my 4th grade called me "Kanovsky the wisenheimer". I could never find that word in an English dictionary. It concerns use of an "app". I was happy with using 'notepad'. No paper, no pen, no fear of spilt drinks obscuring my notes. One consistent problem. My notes just disappear-------and so, although I had extensive notes about the fundraiser for the Mark Telesca band and the Josh Rowand band at Fish Tales last night, they were expunged by the Devil Word Deleter. Mark (bass) had Robert Allan Gibbs on brilliant guitar and Anthony Livoti, driving them both, on drums. Mark did mostly an original program including "Stand My Ground" and "Why Do You Do Me Like You Do". They are on their way to Memphis and we all wish them "Good Luck".

Josh Rowland (guitar) has his Dad Deny on bass and Rich Corricelli on drums. Man does this trio deliver. Solid, sharp, tight. They played a lot of songs I recognized and closed with a medley of kind of country/blues/rock medley starting with "Folsom Prison". They are also headed to Memphis for the competition and are bound to do well.

I followed up by crossing the street to BJB's where an artist previously unknown to me was to appear. Crossing the threshold I see the bandstand filled with musicians I know. Eddy Balzola (guitar-Oriente), Danny Burger (drums), Kai Sanchez (bass) and Jaui Schneider at the piano. The vocalist will be Rosina. My notes for the first set went the way of my notes from Fish Tales.


The 2nd set was done with pen and paper. Let me say that, I was very pleasantly surprised by the voice, imagination and presentation by Ms. Rosina. Her lower register was impressive and her thoughtful creativity both lyric and melodic were definitively JAZZ. She couldn't help but being JAZZ wise while being backed by this incredible group of musicians who were collectively playing together for the first time. The set opened with the instrumental version of "I Remember April'.

I was seated alongside Holly Spillane (Eddy's manager, promoter, arranger, booking agent, #1 fan and wife) who was invaluable with history, composers etc. Rosina took the stage to a samba rhythmed "Amor, Amor, Amor" during which Danny and Kai played some really cool stuff. She followed with "Around the World" and this gave Eddy a chance to show off. A rhumba beat and "Besame Mucho". Rosina has her way with melody which leads into another beautiful Eddy solo. The holiday season is upon us and so "Silver Bells" is appropriate. Jaui and Kai take turns showing off. Danny counts of a samba beat and Rosina sings "What A Difference A Day Makes" en Espanol. Now Eddy & Jaui do their thing. Danny (the brushmeister) gets his chance when Rosina sings "I Wish You Love". "Cuando, Cuando, Cuando" keeps me entranced by Rosina's voice and interpretation. They swing "Please Don't Talk About Me" and then Rosian does a tender "White Christmas" Eddy's solo is indicative of why I call him 'El Gato Fresco'. Latin rhythm once more with "Desifinado" but in English. The band and Rosina say goodnight with a jumping "It Had To Be You".

During the course of the evening Jimmy Belize (my face, his photo) and Nancy got up to dance 3 times. Perhaps I should be thinking of tuxedo rentals???? 



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment