Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Music, like beautiful women...(Allen Kanovsky ponders and pontificates...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/10/14

…comes in many different shapes and forms.

Last night the music I listened to can only be described as soul clothed in funk (or vice versa). Fun to listen to and easy to shake your stuff to. It was on 'toity-toid' street and as the pic shows it was the Valerie Tyson Band. They almost overflowed the stage. Justin McCloud (drums), Didier Labossierre (musical director/sax), Annie Jules (keyboard), David Henry (bass), Eric Davis (guitar), Phrey Allen and Valerie (vocals). Ms. Jackie Deering joined me. Babette, Martine & Jacques were in the house.

They opened with "Everlasting Love". Next was "Midnight Train to Georgia" and then Motown filled the room. "My Girl" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine". Talk about shaking & bakin'. The floor was packed with shaking bacon. And the air filled with a great sax solo by Didier. The 2nd set and Ray Charles tunes sung by Didier included "I Got A Woman" and "Tell Me What I Say".  The music continued with "Talk About It" and "Play Your Funky Music, White Boy" with Valerie and Phrey singing the duets. Martine & Jacques are showing us all how it's really done. Christine Anderson is invited up to do "All My Love", Sweet Caroline' and "Let's Do It Again". A hayseed must have fallen on the bandstand 'cause they broke into a country tune "Let's Have A Party" and a party it was. Jack Daniels shots were being slung (I think that is past tense for sling) down as if it was New Years Eve. J.T.(James Taylor)  joined for one of the tunes. The program continued with "What's Going On", "Christmas Time Is Here", a rousing "Hotel California" and the show closed with "Goodbye".

The music and the musicians did a heck of a job and left a deep impression on me. Jackie and I had fun. Martine & Jacques danced the night away. Babette, enthroned upon her always reserved bar stool observed it all with a smile on that beautiful face.  Candy had been seated nearby and was on the floor most of the night. I asked her to pose. She put a big smile on her face and showed what posing is all about!!!!

Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash, wherever you are.



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment