Thursday, December 4, 2014

Maria's Back... (Careful now, Allen Kanovsky is getting real funny on us now...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/04/14

...and last night she proved it.
 
Photo submitted by Al Kanovsky. Get it? Maria's back.... Oh boy Al.... you are stretching it today!

Maria was the featured artist at Danny Burger's Showcase at BJB's. Brian Murphy(piano) and Nicky Orta(bass guitar) completed the rhythm section. It being the season for giving, Maria gave it all. Dynamic, energetic and totally entertaining.

Uh oh! I did it again. Using the 'notepad' app for my notes I inadvertently deleted them. So all the rest is from memory. Do not forget that I often can not remember what I had for breakfast and even if I had breakfast. 

Maria's repertoire is extensive. She sang songs from her native Venezuela, Broadway, The Great American Songbook and even some that had their roots in Rock 'n Roll. Her "Night in Tunisia"(en espanol) and "Besame Mucho" are incomparable. "Girl From Ipanema" as well as several others had Maria singing wonderful scat sections. It was a superb night of JAZZ and Danny, Brian and Nicky were inspired by Marias dynamism. Every solo played was original and imaginative. 

Martine & Jacques danced. Denise and I did too. A couple, Dahlia Hirsch and Barry Wohl got up as well. I watched them closely trying to pick up some new "swing" steps. Lilliana & Ken, Maria's close friends were in the audience along with Paul Shewchuk and his gal pal. Babette of course, Isabel and brother Jim and longtime Maria fan, Stan Jackson. 

The last set opened with "Lush Life". (why do performers give me long looks when they sing that song?). "Besame Mucho", "Autumn Leaves" and Summertime" concluded the show. Brian showed off. Nicky did too. Danny showed why I call him the 'brushmeister". 

Talking about the season of giving, Maria's 'take' for the night is being directly donated to the Cancer Foundation Society at the Baptist Hospital in Kendall. Think about it!


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment