Friday, August 2, 2013

Vision... (...s of jazz notes danced in your head, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/2/13

It is an odd name for a band, even in todays odd name world. "The Sound of Vision" is the one used by 3 very talented musicians. Valerio Cantori plays piano & keyboards, Orlando Machado is on drums(also with Oriente) and Scott Klarman is masterful on tenor sax, flute and EWI. Scott's familiarity with the Electronic Wind Instrument goes back a couple of decades. He is a master and during the program demonstrated the versatility of the instrument. The set opened with a chance for Scott to "show-off" with a bop tune "Sissy's Strut" playing tenor and EWI. Everyone took a turn in that department when the played Miles Davis' "All BLUES". In a more tender tone and genre they played "Days of Wine and Roses." Orlando introduced Ms. Charmaine Forde. Charmaine is no ordinary little "chick singer." She is a JAZZ vocalist. Her range, tone and timbre is impressive. A native of Trinidad, traces of that heritage still lingers in her presentation. She opened with a swinging "All Of Me" in Bb. I think every vocal should be sung in that key because it allows for all kinds of improvisation. There were a couple of birthdays being celebrated at Blue Jeans BLUES. Sharon and Wayne. Charmaine dedicated her next tune, "It's Just the Nearness Of You" to the birthday boy and girl. Later on, Charmaine told me that her favorite lyric line is the opening line of that tune. During Ms. Forde's rendition, Scott seemed to be entranced by the beauty of her voice. They followed with a samba beat to "Besame Mucho" where Scott was featured on flute. Then "Funny Valentine", Scott doing the solo on EWI. Through it all, Valerio was playing bass on the keyboard with his left hand and the melodic line with his right. When necessary for Valerio to use both hands on the 88, Scott did the bass line on the EWI. Every tune had Orlando delivering imaginative, rapid-fire solos on each. My buddy, Dr. Jules Oaklander, was curious about the EWI and talked with Scott during the break. Another pal, Ron(Anonymous) was in the house as well as Fox Sports personality Frank Forte. Sound of Vision opened the 2d set with an original--"She" which is also on their CD. Orlando announced the next song would be dedicated to me. The rhythm of clave` permeated their arrangement of "Love For Sale" which included riff lines from Dizzy's "Manteca". They took an interlude to display all the sounds you might get from the EWI. An enlightening moment. Then, Funk-Funk-Funk. I think it was titled Four Ninety Eight but don't quote me.

Charmaine returned to the stage with "Love Me Or Leave Me" . Asking the audience for input, the answer they got was 'Disco'. Shades of Donna Summer. "Voulez-vous Couchez Avec Moi" had every female in the joint up and shaking their funky bootys. I remember that line as a sex-ridden quote GIs had brought back from France after WWII. Ron(Anonymous) couldn't control himself and joined the gals. During the next swing number I worked up the nerve to ask the birthday girl, Miss Sharon Moffett for a dance. She said yes and we continued to 'wow' the crowd. They did a Calypso tune in which Charmaine's roots became obvious. They concluded the set with "Stormy Monday" and a few lines from "Wade In the Water". Doctor Jules had an early appointment with his cardiologist (1PM), which to the good doctor is pre-dawn and so we paid our checks and headed home. The conversation during the ride concerned itself with how much we enjoyed the evening, the Sound of Vision and Charmaine Forde. A night of musical pleasure. Thank you all.        

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment