Saturday, August 31, 2013

Do you have any idea...(maybe, but certainly not as many as Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/31/13

...of the number of superlatives there are in the English language. I am a gambling man and I will venture a .wager that there are well over 100. In my review of the music generated by Silvano Monasterios and the band at Arts Garage last night I would have to use every single one. The band!!!! Rudolfo Zuniga playing drums, John Dadurka on the upright bass and Jose Gregorio playing Latin percussion including temple bells, cajone and tambor. The music played, all Silvano originals from his last album as well as the next release, hopefully before Christmas. These musicians are amongst the most creative JAZZ men I have ever heard. During the first set, Silvano revealed his tender side with "Songs For Jacques" a brilliant composition displaying every emotion and dynamic that can be heard in music. During an interview with the Real Tracy Fields the other night, Silvano had mentioned that record producers didn't like tracks that ran more than 7 minutes. On the CD, the song is separated into 2 parts. Last night it was played in its original form and held the audience breathless. The band played some others including "Eternal Blue Sky", "Unconditional", "Pearl" and "Bluey Red". It was the first time I had heard from John and Jose. Musicianship at its very best. In my conversation with Silvano about the musical influences in his life, he thoughtfully replied that it was his father was who brought him to music. His Dad was a physician who loved to play self-taught piano. When Silvano was 4 years old, his father bought a piano for the home and played it in every spare moment. Observing the pleasure his father derived from that activity it set Silvanos' path. He studied at the conservatory in Caracas and got his degrees at the University of Miami. A note of interest about influence on children. Silvano's dad brought a piano home---I brought a pool table. The tambora that Jose played is a 2 sided drum that is played on one side with a stick, the other with the fingers and hand. It was originally developed for playing the rhythms of merengue.

Prior to last night, most of the performances I had heard from Silvano were at dedicated JAZZ venues.

The style of play, was somewhat different last night but still included his mastery of the piano. I would like to have you read a poem I had written for him in 2010.    All rights reserved
Silvano
Allen Kanovsky November 2010
Just ten long fingers
Only eighty eight keys
 It seems as if I hear
a thousand notes played
in a four beat
measure
Yes, ten long fingers
just eighty eight keys
black and white, sharp and flat
 a thousand notes
played with heart, soul and
pleasure
There’s only one cat
who can do it
Creating long lyrical arpeggios
They somehow seem so mysterious
 That is the genius of Silvano,
Silvano Monasterios

To a true genius of jazz, who brings immeasurable joy into our lives
Flo Eisenberg and Allen Kanovsky

Arts Garage.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment