Monday, August 26, 2013

The electronic age...(has left Allen Kanovsky out in the cold, like some potential dance partners!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/26/13

...keeps re-inventing itself. Especially in the music world. I first saw a Zendrum(drumitar) a couple of years ago. I was not impressed. Electronic drums have been around since the invention of the electric guitar. The EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument), on the other hand requires real musical skill and talent. Last night I saw the latest incarnation of the drumitar. It was controlled by a computer complete with a display screen. The instrument looked like a guitar with a control board similar to a Boeing 747's. The young man playing it is Dan Cousins. The instrument makes somewhat appropriate sounds. Luckily Dan plays JAZZ harp and was able to impress me with his playing that instrument. The drumitar----(yawn). Anthony Corrado's Jam also had Steve Kronick sitting in on congas etc. The sound of latin percussion instruments is the reality of music. Steve's solos on the congas and Anthony's flute were the highlights of the set. Along with them were Paul Banman on keys and Shea Eischen on drums. 

Eddie Balzolas band, Oriente, was the feature of Sunday night at BJB's. I've mentioned William Peredes several times in prior review. If you do nothing else, get your butt out to listen to this guy blow. The amazing Orlando Machado(Sound of Vision) is at the 4 cymbal drum set, Y'oel DelSol on Latin Percussion and a new face Edward Magdariga on bass. Eddie plays guitar, does vocals and provides Latin JAZZ history lessons. I learned last night that the late Tito Puente was the first person of Puerto Rican descent to graduate from Julliard. The band opened with Manteca/Caravan and had me itching to dance. Sadly I got shot down. Twice, in quick order. I asked politely but the responses were less than kind and accompanied by disparaging looks that said plainly---"Not with you, Senor".

A Latin version of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"(was there a message in that) had Bill shaking his head and wondering as to the songs title. There is no disguising the Buena Vista Social Clubs "Chan-Chan". A bolero and then Tito's "Oye Como Va", which Eddie says, was originally a Yiddish melody, titled "Oy Vay". The 2d set, saw Holly Spillane arrive from the performance at Avenue D. She is Eddie's wife and maybe that explains them opening the set with "Softly". They continued with some straight ahead JAZZ, a little 'funk'--cha-cha-cha, samba, a lively salsa "Aye Mama, Que Paso?"--ended with some funky/JAZZ. I left smiling.     


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment