Saturday, August 10, 2013

I do not...(What? There is something Allen Kanovsky DOESN'T do?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/10/13

...read my horoscope. Zodiac was the name of a horse that finished fifth in a race at Aqueduct in 1973. When asked for my sign, my favorite answers are "Space Available" or Sold". But every once in a while something special happens and the stars are aligned. It happened last night on Dr. Calle’s birthday. He and his fellow members, Gary Keller(Tenor/soprano sax), Gary Lindsay(alto), Mike Brignola(bari) of the Miami Sax Quartet, along with John Yarling(drums), Jim Gasior(piano) and making his debut with the group, young Gary Thomas(bass) were playing at the Bass Museum in Miami Beach. I know that I am sometimes effusive( I had to look it up also) in my use of glowing terms when describing performances. Thi time I cannot find the words to describe what I was privileged to hear last night. The program opened with no rhythm section. Saxes only. The selection "Sunlight" was arranged by Gary Lindsay, as were many of the songs played. Complex harmonics, melodic lines and fugue style choruses had me leaning forward to concentrate on every note played. Gary Keller switches to the soprano for a very structured arrangement of a James Taylor song. Then they reached way back to the 20's for JellyRoll Morton's "Black Bottom Stomp". For those of you who are younger than I (more than 97% of the world) the Black Bottom was a dance step that preceded the "Charleston" and flappers. The rhythm section joined in for a Gary L. composition "Don't Look Back". Jim did the opening few bars alone and Gary K. stepped in on  soprano. Mike Brignola's solo on baritone was a study in JAZZ harmonies. Mike's body language tells a story of its own. The quartets version of "Sophisticated Lady" had Gary L. picking up the clarinet for his solos. Mike and Jim's tender solos would warm any lovers heart. Mid-song they started to swing it, with Mike wailing on the baritone. To close the first set they did an original Dr. Calle composition, "Dancing On A Cloud". Every one took a turn but Ed's solo was a special treat. His play is always impassioned but tonight was beyond that. It brought the audience to its collective feet. 
I was with my buddy, Dr. Jules. Along with us were some of the youngsters I had listened to Wednesday night at the Fish House. David Leon(alto) with his Mom, Olga and Dad, Mandy, Cristhian Hernandez(bass), Franchesca Romero(piano), Alex Larionov(Trombone) and Trevor Bazile(reeds). It was no surprise that Jeannette Pina was there helping out with CD sales. Oksana & Peter Piasecky were there. She is the real estate gal who got me into my present living quarters.
The 2d set started with "Twinkle , Twinkle, Little Star" A simple tune, unless it's played in 3 movements and arranged by Dr. Calle and Gary Lindsay. Believe me, this was no lullaby, except maybe on 52d St, back in the day. Dr. Calle has composed a piece called "The Iberian Suite" It is also done in 3 movements. The first "Midnight Rhumba" featuring Spanish influenced harmonies and rhythms. The second movement is titled "Siesta" and is almost symphonic in nature. The final movement "Pomplano" takes you into the arena and its pageantry. Complete with flamenco hand clapping. Ed's solo brings shouts of "Ole" from the audience. Gary Thomas rejoins the band for "Blue Rondo" and impress us all. A unison playing of all the saxes of Paul Desmond's solo with Gary K back on tenor is a marvel of musicianship. They play another Gary Lindsay tune "Lost & Found". That was the name of my favorite Apple watering hole when I ran the streets of NYC. A young and beautiful woman named Loriko had joined the good Dr. and I. She knows and loves her JAZZ. To close the show, they select a Brubeck tune, "A Raggy Waltz" done in 3/4 and sometimes 7. Dr. Calle and Jim take it to a thunderous conclusion with the crowd shouting its approval. The band is not allowed to leave without "one more". They do another Gary(prolific) Lindsay song called "Sweet Bread". It is bop-ish in style with Mike taking the 1st solo, then Gary L and Gary K back on soprano, closing with Dr. Calle's pure be-bop ride.  Effusive? I only pray the Lord gives me another opportunity to hear musicians perform the way these guys did tonight. By the way the Quartet is on the cover of this month’s JAZZ & BLUES FLORIDA magazine and the main feature. The doc is driving.The doc is driving. He likes Tracy late at night also.
 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment