Monday, August 12, 2013

The word "bikini"...(has Allen Kanovsky seeing double? or what?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/12/13

...means different things to different people. To guys my age it evokes images of shapely young ladies in bathing suits that have less yardage than my handkerchief. Some of us were around when they tested atomic bombs on a remote Kwajalein Island with that name. Last night I listened to a band that had nothing to do with those memories. Instead Ms. Eli Lao fronted a band by the name of "Bikini JAZZ. The music they play is Latin JAZZ. I can speak the language of love and money in English, Spanish, French, Italian and Yiddish. The language that touches me most is the music of clave. I don't know the reason for it. I was brought up on 'swing'. Matured with the BLUES and be-bop. Both parents were from Russia. But "salsa" courses through my veins. It is my 'alma' and 'corazon', soul and heart. Eli is the vocalist and is accompanied by David Sound(guitar), Yorgis Goincelaye(bass),Juan Ricardo(Trumpet/flugelhorn) and Majito Aguilera on  variety of percussion including cajone. The band does some standards but most of the tunes played were original compositions of Ms. Lao. JAZZ oriented but with rhythms to dance to. Son, bolero, cha-cha, mambo, salsa. etc. They opened with a really nice rendition of "Autumn Leaves" to a moderate salsa tempo with each member taking a solo turn. Then a samba and with Eli taking the stage to do an 'original' to the traditional 'son' rhythm. Ms. Lao went on to explain that her writings reflect her moods. I find that is true of all creative endeavors. I have often said that I can tell what a JAZZ musician had for breakfast by the solos they play. "La Reina", Babette, was on her usual stool at the bar and seemed to be enjoying the music. Anthony Corrado who had hosted the afternoon Jam session had stayed on to enjoy this band as well. Seated nearby was my 'stingy brim'  occasional dance partner(anonymous) and her husband Douglas. Bobbin' heads and shakin' shoulders. Before the 2d set started a very attractive lady joined Anthony at an adjoining table. Her name is Jackie. She is a flight attendant with American Airlines. Attractive! Flight Attendant! Dressed in a flattering white crocheted dress! And when asked to share in my crispy French fries she daintily used her fingers. The only question remaining was could she dance. I am more than happy to report that Jackie can dance when asked politely. We danced enough to work off my French fries and also the pizza she shared with Anthony. The band continued with all the latin rhythms of South America and the Caribbean. "Skin and Bones" "Chamera", "Esponge" and more. During one of Juans trumpet solos he did a short quote of "Habanera" from the opera "Carmen" a few bars later he included "La Cucuracha" which cracked me up. I think it may have been inspired by the herky-jerky movements of a 'gringo' on the dance floor. Now it was time for Ms. Stingy Brim and I. She is fun to dance with and we laughed all the way through the tune. Resting between tunes and changing partners held my pulse rate and blood pressure in check. Jackie had an early flight and left me with a soft spot in my heart. Douglas and his wife were on their way also. They are regulars at Blue Jeans BLUES so I know I'll see them again soon. The last set opened with Eli singing and David on guitar. the song "No se puede vivre sin cojer". David is a UM graduate who studied with Randall. Now the story grows more interesting. A good-looking couple sits in the booth behind me. They are Mercedes Delgado and Rene` Zaldivor. He is the founder of a new concept in the food service industry catering to the needs of office workers. The company is "Chef 24-7". Mercedes works at the company as well but best of all she asked would I dance with her. WOULD I?????? Maybe she is late 20s. Built like you might dream about. A smile that could light up Broadway. WOULD I????? Rene was gracious and thought it was a good idea. So did I. We did. The band played "Caravan" and after that concluded with Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va". Now Mercedes and Eli were on the dance floor together. ----"grab your hat and get your coat"---- 2 vivacious Latinas, shaking and baking. It's enough to make one want to live forever. And don't forget Jackie---I won't. I asked Juan about his favorite trumpet solo---Freddy Hubbard on "Eternal Triangle"---good choice. A word about Anthony, aside from his choice of a pizza sharer. The guy plays more instruments than I have fingers and toes, including the 'tumba". Look it up. Also, Majito(percussion) was playing a pair of congas made by 'Tycoon Percussion'. Beautifully inscribed instruments with pictures of doves, peacocks, elephants, llamas and people. Great sound as well. 

I got home, thanked G-d for giving me this night and dreamt about all the gals I danced with and hope to do it again.  C.U. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :