Wednesday, August 21, 2013

There are times...(when even Allen Kanovsky has to check his own clock!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/21/13

...when you have to take a back seat, or fold a pair of aces, or shut your mouth, Worst of all ,there are times when you have to admit you are wrong. mia culpa. I stand, head bowed and make my confession. I have said I do not review artists who play with tracks because I do not understand how tracks are made. Last night I heard a couple of guys who played with the 'scorned' tracks. They were so good I paid no attention to the background. It happened at The Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton. It was the Jeffrey James Duo ie: Jeffrey James(guitar/vocals) and Mitch Farber (guitar/vocals). Let me begin with Jeffrey's vocal talents. During the first set, Al Poliak (prop:) came over to me and said "You can quote me in the review. In my humble opinion, I think Jeff has the best voice of any tenor in South Florida". In my, not so humble opinion, I agree. Mitch's guitar playing was acclaimed in similar manner by Drew Preston. He said that during an afternoon rehearsal, Mitch almost blew him off the stage. That is why I paid little attention to the tracks. The human performance overshadowed the electronic. The playlist was mostly 'covers' including "I Don't Want to Be Lonely Tonight", "Dust In the Wind", "If I could Change the World" and "What You Won't Do For Love". Al can't resist and gets on stage to play keys for a couple. "It Was Over A Long Time Ago", "Penny Lane", "My Girl" and "Still Cry the Blues For You." A super solo by Mitch in "Still Cry". Al requests "Fantasy" and that ended the first set. I had dinner with Ray(sound tech at the FB) and his trumpeter wife. I promise to do a review of Rays handling of the great sound at the Biscuit. After dinner I was joined by photog Jimmy Belize(see pic at top) and his friend Maxine. During the 2d set the track sounds were shut down for a few and I really had a chance to really listen to them sing and play. Al joined in on B3. "Steam Roller Blues" was proof that these guys need nothing more than themselves to make good music. The trio did The Beatles "Hey Jude" with each taking turns with impressive solo play. They returned to tracks with "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Black Magic Woman"----

It was time for Tracy. Sadly, Tracy was playing works by pianist/composer Cedar Walton who passed away Monday. Cedar's contributions to JAZZ are timeless. A moment ago I heard of the passing of Marian McPartland. No one in the JAZZ world did more for the genre or the art. She was timeless and will live on in the hearts of JAZZophiles forever. Less than a week ago, George Dukes went through the Pearly Gates. A truly BLUE week. May they all rest gently in the arms of the Lord.   


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment