Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Truth....(Allen Kanovsky knows it when it he hears it!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/28/13

...the whole truth and nothing but the truth. A local JAZZ club(not named here) advertised and promoted a Hawaiian Party to be held on Tuesday night. I donned a light color pair of jeans, a matching colorful print shirt and my rollup brim lid---also color coordinated. I checked the gas gauge and got underway. A short 35 minute drive and I arrived at my destination. I approached the entrance. A pretty young thing was at the door. "There is a $10 charge tonight"-----I thanked her, returned to my car, drove home and watched the World Series of Poker on the box---in HD. If I had known about the 'cover' I might or might not have made a decision prior to the drive. The surprise is what caused me to leave, somewhat upset. 

My advice to venues:
If there is a cover, let potential customers know in advance. Unexpected charges are unacceptable and tend to 'turn off' arriving guests. I go back to the days when rent parties were held by people needing money to cover their monthly expenses. Good times were had in very bad times. You paid at the door, but knew that, well in advance. If club owners need funds to pay the rent or the musicians or the staff it is their obligation to advertise any proposed cover-----I enjoyed watching the poker and a tumbler of frozen double espresso vodka, all while laid out on a well worn sofa and $10 further away from abject poverty. Lots of choices for tonight--I hope I know the truth.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment