Saturday, August 3, 2013

In the vernacular of...(well...I guess that would be Allen and all his music friends!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 8/3/13

...the cool, hip or hep, to chill is to relax. To really chill is to really relax. Relax enough to slow your pulse rate and breathing. Last night I was really chillin'. I had made my way to Soykas at the 55th St. Station in Miami. Why Soykas? Easy. Mike Orta and Kai Sanchez. The recently refurbished lounge is the perfect room for doing what I was doing. Kickin' it(another term for chillin'), listening to JAZZ, enjoying an adult beverage and tasty appetizers. Mike's girl friend Luz Salazar and her boys Joshua Deahora and Danny Gaviria were there to enjoy as well. I arrived just in time to hear them playing "Speak Low" to a Latin beat. Since there were only two of them it afforded them the opportunity to play extended solos. Just perfect for sitting back on a love seat with a gorgeous blond(Mike's girl friend Luz)and listening to the renderings of this masterful duo. Following the clave` was a BLUES "Things Are Not the Way They Used To Be". Next, showing some 'bop chops', their version of "No Greater Love". Mike reads the stuff I write and so they did it in Bb. It would have been just as good even done in G. A romantic ballad "The Nearness Of You" reminded Mike and I that I had written about Charmaine Fordes favorite lyric line. Mike had played with Charmaine about 10 years ago. A young, good looking couple, were leaving but stopped to thank Mike and Kai for the music. Seeing their interest in  JAZZ I asked their names. They were agreeable and stopped to chat for a moment. She is Cristina Escobar an attorney, who served as a prosecutor in the court where Jesse Jones Jr. worked as the bailiff. He is Carlos Escobar who once played tuba in the 13th National Guard Band. Mike and Kai were playing a Latin beat. Cristina and Carlos got up to dance. What a trio! Cristina, Carlos and Clave`. Prior to the 2d set Mike asked what I would like to hear. "Latin & Bop". And so it was. Mike opened by himself with A bolero tempoed "Besame Mucho". Kai joined in on "Green Dolphin Street". Eubie Blake wrote "Memories Of You" with lyrics by Andy Razaf, in 1930. It was composed for a Broadway musical "Blackbirds of 1930". It is a lovely tune and a JAZZ standard which has held up well to time. Back to Latin and a Samba beat for "No More Blues".

The romantic ballad "Moonlight In Vermont" was a favorite of his Mom and recently passed Dad. Mike's love for them was evident in his playing this tune. Mark Soyka was at a nearby table with 2 beautiful gals( I know-I know), when Luz got up to sing a couple including the tragic "Alfonsina y el Mar." Her voice is perfect for doing Latin influenced ballads. Elvis Matinez(bass) sat in for a couple. Mike and Kai did a Soyka favorite "Keep the Music Playing" followed with "I Remember April", "What A Wonderful World" and "That's All". I drifted into a "Wonderful World" of memories of years and loves that are gone. Mr. Soyka requested "People", which Mike did alone. Beautifully. I said goodnight to all and said hello to Tracy. On the way home I reminded myself of Cristina and Jesse Jones Jr. I will try to reach her to let her know that he will be appearing tonight with other JAZZ stars at the Dance Party at Arts Garage in Delray. Me and my dancing feet will be there. Will you???         

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :

  1. Hi AL sorry I missed that one sounds like it was really nice .Mike Orta at his best :) love and Music Barbara Van

    ReplyDelete