Tuesday, November 4, 2014

'Twas a night...(Allen Kanovsky took in the Jam at The Funky Biscuit where Chris Duarte was laying it down and Bobby Nathan was backing 'em up!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11//14

...that will be remembered by a house full of BLUESIACS at The Funky Biscuit.

I don't know how he did it but Al Poliak convinced Chris Duarte to stay in town and join the Monday Jam with Bobby Nathan as host.  Joining Bobby and Chris on stage were Muggy Doo(B3), Bobby's wife JoAnne (keys), Anthony Livoti (drums) and Bob Cleary (bass). Before I tell about what a great night of music it was I must write about Chris Duarte. If you read my stuff regularly you might remember me mentioning Chris at Earl's Hideaway and his show this past Sunday. It focused on a song title and lyric that was lewd in nature. Last night Mr. Duarte was anything but crass. He had me mesmerized with his play. Additionally he was a man of steel. He played every song of every set with a solid 4 hours on stage. Every musician in the house wanted to play with him and he obliged. To say his solos were incredible would be an understatement. I joined Jimmy Belize, Nancy, Jackie, Vicki and Leslie in enjoying a night of solid BLUES. During his pre-program announcements, Al mentioned that a friend had called him "The Rabbi Of the Temple Of Good Vibes".

Last night the Biscuit was as full of good vibes as it was customers. Not an empty seat in the house. From the first note on the house tapped, clapped and shook (shaked). I didn't get the title of the first tune but it mattered not 'cause the music spoke for itself. Chris' first solo set the stage for all the wonderful stuff to come. Muggy jumps in and as usual has the crowd in his hand. Bobby sings "Somewhere Down the Road" and the familiar tune has Muggy playing some really good stuff. Chris delivers again. Bobby keeps the vocals going with "St. James Infirmary". Chris and Muggy Doo catch a groove and I am in 7th heaven. Second line rhythm puts us in N'Awlins with "What You Gonna Do" Bobby sings. Muggy sings. Chris just plays the sh-t out of his guitar. My tablemates are having a natural ball and "Oh My"ing Chris' play. The 8 bar BLUES "It Hurts Me Too" is next and it mellows the mood a bit. Not for long 'cause the shuffling "Shake Your Money Maker" is being played. Bobby is using a bottle-neck slide and Muggy does a 10* solo. Horn players come to the stage. Tenor saxes Steve Hooper and my longtime pal Raul Hernandez (better known as a drummer) and Joe Parker on trumpet. To tell all about the rest of the night might take the rest of the year so I'll summarize a bit. Other musicians who joined the Jam included Blues Bobby (harp), Rockin' Jake (harp), Piano Bob (you guess), J.L. Fuchs (guitar/voc), Andy G (drums), Sista Mary Beth (vocals) a band out of N.Y.C. called TAUK, Al Poliak  (B3/Vocals), Joel Del Silva (guitar), Doug Trane (tenor sax), Keith Jones (bass), Tom Regis (keys) and some others whose names I didn't get.

During the course of the evening Chris did some vocals himself including "Big Leg Woman", "G-d Knows That You Want It" and "Tied To the Whipping Post". His song renditions are almost as good as his playing. During one of the sets, he was asked if he knew a particular tune. His reply was "I'll play anything" and he did.  A young lady, Jan Renee, was invited up to sing towards the end of the program. She chose Johnny Cash's hit "Ring of Fire". Real nice voice and she had all the players including Doug and Tom having fun playing "country". Manot (keys) came over to say "Hello".

I had a chance to speak with Chris and thank him for the pleasure of listening to him and praise his endurance. His response "I play to make people happy". Wotta nite and wotta guy.

Thanks to all and to all a good night. Wait a sec. Still early enough for the Real Tracy Fields. I turn her on (literally---or is it figuratively) the radio I mean. She is there with a bunch of guys including the Miami Sax Quartet (Dr. Ed Calle, Gary Keller, Gary Lindsay and Mike Brignola) Followed by Jesse Jones Jr. playing "I'm Coming Home". It's Mike Brignola's birthday!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MIKE!!!!!!


Last word about Chris Duarte's performance: Chris-Chris-Chris-Chris-Chris!!!!  


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment