Thursday, November 13, 2014

B flats, B3s and...(Allen Kanovsky takes in the scene(ry) at Cafe Vico!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/13/14

…B cups. Not a strange subject combination for a music review blogger who likes women. Let's take care of the music first. Last night it was CafĂ© Vico for me. The quartet led by Clarence Palmer (B3, piano/vocals) Jim Adle (tenor/soprano sax), George Tandy (piano/B3), and James Cotman on drums were the band for the evening. Cafe Vico has changed the schedule so that the music starts at 7 and goes until 10. Perfect for workday listening. I arrived to hear the last song of the 1st set. "Just the Way You Look Tonight". A quintet of ladies I occasionally dance with were already there. In alphabetical order, (to avoid any jealousies) Bella, Denise, Isabel, Jackie & Leslie. I started to think about numbers and considered the time musicians spent practicing in order to bring us a few hours of musical pleasure. If a musician started music lessons 25 years ago and he is playing with a quartet, collectively they probably have over 51,000 hours of practice. This is in order to bring you 3 or so hours of live music enjoyment. I appreciate the sacrifice.  

The 2d set opened with "You Don't Know Me", Clarence doing the vocal and I dancing with Denise. They followed with "The Voice". Straight Ahead JAZZ. George delivers an ear pleasing piano solo. Jim and Clarence follow suit and Jim & James trade 8's. The JAZZ standard "Caravan" has Jim taking the first solo and a 5* performance.  George will not be outdone and does it too. James takes his turn with an extended and dynamic traps solo. Clarence is playing the bass background on the B3. The set ends with "The Look Of Love". 

I am talking with Jackie when she brings up the subject of Denise's bra. I'm the kind of guy who is embarrassed when I have to walk through the ladies lingerie department in JCP's or Sears. My knowledge of that kind of underwear has been limited to unhooking a bra or two on appropriate occasions. Denise provides a brand name. Thinking ahead, wow, what a great Christmas gift for the ladies. Bras come in sizes. I know better than to ask a woman her age. Does bra size come under the same onus? Anyone who knows me understands I am not shy. Especially when it comes to women’s anatomy. I do look!!!! Okay. I start with Jackie 'cause she generally is unflappable. 36C. I am somewhat skeptical. "Okay B". Leslie is reticent but finally says 34C. Okay!. Denise says 34D and it is fairly obvious. I do some research and Lilyettes average about $35 per. I better start saving up.

Back to my second favorite subject, music. Clarence opens singing "Just the Two of Us" and I dance with Jackie. Again some Straight Ahead JAZZ.  The quartet delivers and include 4's around and around to close the song. George does a piano soliloquy. The band follows with "Masquerade". Clarence selects "Summertime" and they close the set with "We Will Never Meet Again". The evening ends with Denise and I doing it (dance I mean). Jerry Mascola is there. We chat for a while and I introduce him to Marco, the manager. I think Jerry sat down at the piano but I was already out the door.  


I welcome all suggestions when it comes to my selection of Christmas gifts.



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


1 comment :

  1. Al, my darling, very tastefully done...............Denise

    ReplyDelete