Monday, November 3, 2014

I arrived at the joint with the jazz just in time (Allen Kanovsky knows how to time an entrance!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/XX/14

...to take advantage of 'happy hour' pricing. Jackie, Leslie and Vicki arrived seconds later and made it under the wire. Bill was working on his 4th vodka/rocks with olives. 

Anthony Corrado was conducting a "master class" on how the keyboard provides the bass line when there is no bass. You learn something new everyday! Paul Banman was at the keys and could make it do anything he would desire it to. The lesson didn't end there. Anthony was going to play Dizzy's "Manteca". In order that the audience not go on unguided he explained that the piece had 2 distinct parts. Part A & Part B. He utilized both his trumpet and flute for solos. How come I, a devoted Dizzy fan, never knew there was 2 parts. Gene sat in on "Come Fly With Me" and the guy still has chops. Anthony picks up the acoustic guitar to play a flamenco/gypsy style "Hotel California. Toward the end of the tune Anthony blows tenor sax. It was probably the best 32 bars I ever heard from him. It took a while for the band to break down considering the hundred instruments Anthony has to pack up. The drummer (didn't get his name) had help from a guy named Joey---more to come on that. 

Lourdes Valentin was the feature for LATIN Night. With her was Kai Sanchez on bass, Abel Pavon playing piano and the one & only Orlando Machado on drums. They opened with an instrumental followed by Lourdes intoning a Latin love song which in English means "I Will Always Be in Love With You". Nancy (a long-time server at BJB's) is up dancing with a gentleman and showing some moves. A samba titled "One Night" has Orlando doing a very 'carnivale' solo. "The Beauty of Puerto Rico" is done bolero style. Jackie and I can't escape the romanticism of the song and are on the dance floor. I always give Jackie the opportunity to "show-off" and she does. They do a Cuban salsa tune and then "Taking A Chance On Love" to a Latin rhythm and with definitive JAZZ lines. "It Might As Well Be Spring" samba style.Can't leave Mexico out and so Lourdes does "Cumbachero". Reviving a song written in the era of the 'flapper' Lourdes sings "Tea For Two" The cha-cha rhythm has Jackie, me and several other couples up and dancing. Lourdes does her composition that thanks G-d for saving her home during Hurricane Wilma. 

During this tune the aforementioned "Joey" approaches one of the ladies at my table with the line "When I first saw you I thought you were beautiful. I've had another drink and now I realize you're gorgeous". He hands the lady a card---simple----JOEY and a phone number. I guess if it works one time in a thousand, good for the guy. Maybe not so good for the gal. I mean the guy is still handing out cards. Maybe he should add an illustration. 

They close the set with the classic "Caravan". Lourdes takes lots of JAZZ chances with the lyric and melody. I don't know if it's my after-shave or Joey but all the ladies decide to leave. --- "I'm just a lonely boy. Lonely and Blue".

The 2d set begins with Mongo Santamaria's "Afro-Blue". Nice piano solo and the Lourdes and Kai do it together. Orlando's drum solo covered all the genres of popular music. JAZZ, BLUES, Latin, R&R, 2d line and all the rest. The cat can play! "Desifinado was next and then a Puerto Rican mambo. A vision appears. My "Lady in the Hat" is on the floor motioning to me. Hey, you want to danmce Mambo, Palladium style, the Lady in the Hat has to be your partner. CLASSIC. They do a Cuban tune done to 'danson' rhythm and then "It's Impossible" bolero style. "Gonna Be A Bright Shiny Day", "Cocovado" and a mamboized "Close Your Eyes" with Kai having a featured solo. The set concluded with "Close Your Eyes" en espanol. The final set opens with the bopized riff for "Perdido". JAZZ is in the house and groovin'. Piano, bass and drums are 'doin' it' and Lourdes is singing scat lines throughout. Lourdes picks up her acoustic guitar to do an original that interpreted means "Oh Yes, It Will Always Be You". Kai plays a bowed bass to the ballad. "Manisero", 'The Peanut Vendor' is an old latin classic which I really like. Lourdes does it as a request. Thank You,Lourdes. One of Lourdes' favorite tunes is "Nature Boy". The do it to a bolero rhythm with Kai doing a 5* solo. They end the tune and the set with a JAZZY/salsa conclusion to the song. 


Tonight, The Funky Biscuit Monday night $5 hamburger... errrr... I mean Monday night JAM (tonight hosted by Bobby Nathan and w/special guest, Chris Duarte), and ????? - See JAZZBLUESflorida.com/MusicListings.htm



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment