Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ageless, timeless...(Must be music you are talking about today, Allen Kanovsky, because we know it can't be about you or I!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/08/14

...and forever. That's what JAZZ is. The other night at BJB's I helped a man of 98 celebrate his birthday while listening to live JAZZ. Last night at Art Serve where the Gold Coast JAZZ Society holds a jam for young JAZZ musicians I shared the room with a lovely young lady named Zen Poitier. She was there with her Mom and 2 older sisters. Zen is 2 months old and is being taught to shake to the beat of the music. Nicole Yarling officiates, plays violin and sings a little. Most of all she teaches. Not with a ruler or pointer but rather with encouraging words. The jammers are all from local schools and are at varying stages of accomplishment. The Hervey family, Anthony, Gabrielle and Nigel--trumpet, tenor, alto--all attend Dillard School for the Arts and show it. Their predecessors left something to aim at. Other schools such as DCA, JPT, St. Thomas Aquinas , Coral Springs, Northcrest, CCD and Parkway Middle were well represented by players. Some names I must mention are Sydney Henry (drums), Brandon Richardson (trombone) and Carla Robinson (piano) who was celebrating her 18th birthday. I apologize to all whose names I did not mention but I am in a bit of rush to get to a poetry group lunch. A young violinist, Simone Hirz who hadn't played much JAZZ before opened the show with C-Jam BLUES. Nicole guided her through and I'm sure Simone will become an adherent of the art. 

After the show closed and everybody but me had left, Nicole took the time to talk to a young trombonist about how to become the musician he wanted to be. The conversation lasted about 25 minutes. I was entranced by the words of wisdom offered by Ms. Yarling. She goes beyond just being a teacher. She is an educator in every sense of the word. The young player paid close attention. The words did not fall on deaf ears. Someday, maybe due to Nicoles words, his name might be up in lights.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment