Thursday, April 9, 2015

Quoting...(Yes, "What he said!" said Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/09/15


...Van Morrison, "Music is spiritual. The music business is not." Continuing along that line of thought Hunter S. Thompson said "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.----There's also a negative side."

Al Poliak recently posted that quote on his Facebook page. Who better to understand that then a performer now club owner. (Funky Biscuit).

Read my disclaimer. Additionally I am not paid for my reviews, and have offered them for free distribution since the first one published via the networks created and maintained by Jazz & Blues Florida. As how you have no cost in reading this and no revenue is generated directly by what I write, you would not be reading this if it was not offered for free by me and distributed for free by Jazz & Blues Florida. The sole exception to this is the annual sponsorship of this column by AFRICAN ODYSSEY at $120 per year. (See above. Thank you Elaine!). The names of venues and musicians you see highlighted and linked here are paying for promotion services elsewhere in Jazz & Blues Florida, and this is done for them as a courtesy in appreciation of their support.

I have never written a negative review of musicians. Sound systems, decor and noisy audiences are a different matter. Yes, some club owners offer courtesies. An occasional drink, dessert or complimentary entry. I neither solicit or expect any of it and often times refuse the amenity.

The music last night was the presentation of the Danny Burger Showcase. The featured artist shall remain unpublished as per request. With Danny were Jamie Ousley (bass) and Brian Murphy (piano). Neither of the latter advertise or promote with this publication but appreciate my blog reviews which often mention them. Marc Berner (flute/tenor) and Brevard (guitar) were guests of the featured artist. The musical program ran the litany of JAZZ tunes, old and new. From "Hello Young Lovers" to "Moanin". From "All the Things You Are" to "Caravan." "Georgia" to the featured artist's traditional closing.

I was joined by two visitors from North Carolina. Denise and Gisele (one L).They are true JAZZophiles. Both pretty and young enough to be my daughters. The club was packed and for the first time there was no bar chatter or dinner conversation while the band played. Actually, a tribute to the musicians in this usually noisy joint.
I end with a heavy heart. Musicians play. I listen. If I liked it I will write about it. If it was not to my subjective liking I just don't write anything. I hope the friends that read my reviews use it as a tool for better "evenings out."

Hey!!! What about lifting my spirits and "LIKE" this on my Facebook page?



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment